Cali Kid Corals

Toadstool not doing so good. Please Help...

Hey again guys.

First off thanks again for the advice on the SPS, I got rid of the Flame Angel and problem solved.

Anyways, Ive had my toadstool for a while with some sort of short tipped anemone attached to the same rock. The Toadstool and anemone have both been healthy the entire time ive had them. But my anemone has been growing rapidly. As of yesterday, my toadstool stopped opening up.

Everything else in my tank is happy and healthy including the anemone, SPS, Zoas, etc...

Any suggestions? Could the anemone be all of a sudden stinging the toadstool???

Thanks for the help everyone...

Toadstools can close for no reason so IME it's a little early to worry. Wouldn't hurt to separate the two though.

I had a small one stay closed for at least 3 weeks. I thought it was a goner but I just left it alone and eventually it slowly extended it's polyps up and soon after was back to normal. the key is patience.

Have you spent some time watching to see if the anenome is stining the toadstool? You'd probably see marks on the lether if in fact the anenome was stinging your toadstool.

Like the others said, my toadstool will go dormant for a few weeks and then shed some skin, and come back to its fully extended self.

Ok, I'll wait it out. Do you think i should try to get the anemone off of that rock??? I have it underneath the lower return pump and powerhead, so it has minimal flow...

nudibranch said:
Remember that the skin it sheds will be toxic, so when it sheds you should do a water change.

I've never had an issue with the skin sheds from sarcophytons. If you run any carbon at all, depending on how many sarcophytons you have, it'll most likely be a non issue.

Also, there absolutely needs to be enough flow to help the sarco slough off the dirty layer. Since the nem and sarco seemed to get along b4 I'd assume it needs a shed. Good flow (med sps level flow) would be about right.

GreshamH said:
nudibranch said:
Remember that the skin it sheds will be toxic, so when it sheds you should do a water change.

I've never had an issue with the skin sheds from sarcophytons. If you run any carbon at all, depending on how many sarcophytons you have, it'll most likely be a non issue.
I haven't either, but the stuff in my tank are super hardy. I did not know how SPS would react to the poison.

YOur putting too much stock into the "toxin". It's not that bad. It mainly inhibits growth of sps but with a little carbon and not a lot of sarco's, it's a moot point.

The shed from a sarco is mostly dead coral cells, some of the same bacteria as lives everywhere in your tank and a lot of live algae cells. There is nothing particularly toxic about it.

Back