Reef nutrition

Tonggao's 120G tank

This is really not a new tank anymore, but better be late than never.

Current setup:
120G Oceanic RR tank with custom made stand and hood.
2 250W 20K Helio SE light with 2 110w ATI actinic VHO
20G fuge, 30G sump, and 20G long grow out tank all connected by one Panworld external pump.
Circulation: Sequence Dart close loop with Ocean Motion, 2 Tunze 6045 power head and return pump
Protein skimmer: Euroreef with Eheim pump
Calcium reactor (top off water): Jetstream 1
Kalk reactor: PM
Other filtration: carbon in Phosban reactor, and GFO in Phosban reactor
Water change: automatic continous water change/top off with 3 Liter meter III pumps

The tank was first set up at the end of 2006, steadily got more and more crowded until middle of 2008, where about half of the SPS died off for no known reason :-. Following are some progressive tank shots until middle of last year, when I lost my heart to take more pictures.

Thank you Sam and Jeff. Here are a few macro shots of some of the corals.

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Thank you very much Patrick, Arnold, Aldie, and Daniel! I have seen most of your tanks (or pictures of them), and they are very nice too.

Patrick, the pictures actually show only one and half year of growth (from 12/06 to 4/08). The sad thing is it does not look as nice as it used to since I lost quite a few SPS colonies, and I think it is at least partly due to the fast growth. Basically, they grew so fast and they grew into each other. I could not keep up with pruning the touching parts, and some heavily touched colonies started dying in the April of last year. That triggered a chain reaction of dying :(. I will take some picture of the tank today or tomorrow when I get some time.

your tank rocks!!! I haven't seen that many tank from BAR's member, but my 3 favorite tanks are from Tongao, Perry and Alan. Not only their awesome display tank, but their setup are one of a kind.

[quote author=tonggao link=topic=6244.msg79693#msg79693 date=1234195310]
Patrick, the pictures actually show only one and half year of growth (from 12/06 to 4/08). The sad thing is it does not look as nice as it used to since I lost quite a few SPS colonies, and I think it is at least partly due to the fast growth. Basically, they grew so fast and they grew into each other. I could not keep up with pruning the touching parts, and some heavily touched colonies started dying in the April of last year. That triggered a chain reaction of dying :(. I will take some picture of the tank today or tomorrow when I get some time.
[/quote]

Your depressing me bro..haha..that type of growth is very impressive..one thing i noticed is that you as well as RCs TOTM both used constant waterchanges with the litremeter...Im trying to set up a water change system, but on a weekly basis rather than daily...my girlfriend saw the shot of your tank and slapped me over the head and said to get it set up already..lol..

so now im off looking for a external pump and some VHOs in hope i could do the same..=D

Phong, your red stripe anthias is doing really well. Actually, I put in two more orange anthias besides yours and the other red stripe I picked up from Max, and all 4 are doing great, with yours to be the most attractive one. I am so happy that no one is trying to hurt anybody :).

Arnold, you are way too humble. You had a beautiful tank, and I am sure you will make it even better after your accident.

I wish I had time to go to SF tour as I really enjoyed the early ones, but this time I even have to rearrange a bunch of things to attend the swap. Maybe next time.

BTW, does this place happen to be on your way? 1732 Taraval St.(bet. 27th. & 28th. ave.), SF. If it is, can I trouble you to pick up two buckets of these for me: Seaschem Sea Salt Reef Mix 160gal.(bucket)$35.99? I can pick up from you during the swap. Thanks.

Snapped a few more pictures today, sorry no FTS. I tored down most of the big SPS colonies, and the tank is really coloring up well. Not sure what I did recently worked, but something did :) . Besides tore down the big SPS colonies, I changed the lights to Radium, started dosing Reef Nutrition Oyster/Roti, soak food in Selcon, added 2 red stripped anthias, 2 orange anthias, and a Achillies tang. Not to mention that I added a zillion little frags. They probably will be serious headaches once they grow out again, but at least not for today :D. I need to watch my wallet, as I am sinking way too much into the tank as I should. What can I say about this addiction ;) .

Thanks Andy, and you are making me blush.

Patrick, among all the $$$ that I spent on my tanks, I serious think the Litermeters are the most worthwhile. Besides keeping the water param consistent, it help to keep me in this hobby. My work get crazy from time to time, and I couldn't imagine carrying buckets of water for water change in these crazy days.

Here are a couple of pictures I just snapped today. As you can see, it has a lot less SPS compared to before, even though the remaining ones are a lot bigger.

Wow Tong! Beautiful tank... I actually bought some frags off of you years ago and I remember your tank. :)

You were the one that actually sold me on the Litermeters. I followed your advice and now I use a litermeter with two remote pumps to do a continuous water change too. Best piece of equipment ever.

Thanks Jason.

Good to hear that you are hooked onto litermeters also. Without them, I do not know if I can last in this hobby this long. Just thinking about carrying 20G of water from garage to the tank every week makes me feel tired.

I saw your thread on Ron's tank, that is a beauty! I actually saw it at Ron's shop and was so tempted to get it. Good thing I still had a little self control, otherwise it would be my tank now :D.

Back