Kessil

Too Small of a Skimmer

So, the skimmer I wanted to get is too big. Grr. The only one I an find that will fit in the skimmer chamber of the IM Nuvo 40 is the Hydor Nano, which is only rated to 35g. Do you think that will adequate?

Oh you're right. It will. Any idea if it's any good? No reviews on Marine Depot.

Some people on Nano-Reefs like it.

The one complaint I can see, is that it's VERY noticeable. It has to be very far out of the water, and a white skimmer with a black tank, stand, light fixture, and light, is going to be apparent.

Besides regular (perhaps more frequent) water changes and emptying of the cup, is there any other downside to getting the Hydor? I love the reviews.

Last edited:
What is the footprint of the skimmer area? Maybe a regular Urchin with the base (triangular) removed might do the trick; I used an Urchin that way on a DIY false back and worked just fine on a 37g system plus is black.

I don't want anything hanging off the tank. I purchased an AIO so there would be less risk of leaks. I'm probably just going to go ahead and get the Cadlight Nano 50. I just wish it came in black. I'm a girl. It's important to me that everything matches. :)

The tank rating really is some magical number they use to estimate. It all depends on your bioload. If you are planning a light bioload ten the slim skim will work

I had one on a 30 gal nuvo and it was pretty silent and it is almost flush with the top of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back