Neptune Aquatics

Trace element dosing/Coral Colors

Chromis

Supporting Member
Why do products exist to dose different elements toward enhancing different coral colors - example: Red Sea "Coral Colors ABCD" which links color enhancement to elements:

Pink: iodine/halogens
Red: Potassium
Green/yellow: iron
Other mix: blue/purple

Is this assuming a hobbyist will just add one until desired color is reached, or they are packaged separately so you don't overdose the less needed elements? There seems to be an assumption that regular water changes/broad spectrum trace elements are too general for individual tanks?

I ask because my red monti has been peach-colored for longer than 6 months (too long for a death spiral). The color is nice but someone on the forum suggested ack of iodine because the Reef Fuel and Brightwell trace elements in using in fact don't contain iodine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most decent salt mixes have you covered for trace elements, and acros stand to benefit the most. For something like a monti, my guess is lack of light intensity.

You could also be running too lean on nutrients as well.

Dosing also might not have the desired results. I used to dose a modified version of Biggle's juice, but it darkened my colors too much (sps) and actually preferred the colors before I started dosing. I've been laying off the juice and the colors are slowly lightening up to where they look desirable. The montis weren't affected with or without the addition of the juice, which included iodine (Lugol's).

I use the Coral Color dosing system.

I also use the test kit which helps me identify which elements I'm low on and I dose accordingly.

I don't do regular water changes and I run a CaRx.

Colors and growth have been good.

I only have anecdotal evidence that when I miss a dose, my sps do pale out slightly. But I have trouble keeping nitrates n phosphates higher than ulns levels.

I'll check my PAR levels and see if adding potassium helps. My nutrients are pretty low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you testing for potassium? Recommend testing first before adding. I use potassium chloride powder.

Back