Cali Kid Corals

Trace Elements

Wlachnit

Past President
I've never dosed trace elements before and am wondering if it is worth doing? For those of you dosing either now or in the past, did you notice a difference with your SPS?

Though acropower is not a trace element supplement. That's just amino acids. Though the two that replied (and now me, starting this morning) have calcium reactors that supply trace elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though acropower is not a trace element supplement. That's just amino acids. Though the two that replied (and now me, starting this morning) have calcium reactors that supply trace elements.

I also dose trace elements with Red Sea Colors.

Good point about Ca reactor. I use 2 part, so don't get that benefit that a reactor provides.

Iodine would be included in most NSW mixes I would imagine. Not sure if it's is "needed" but I add some Jod complex from zeovit once in awhile, which include inorganic and organic iodine.

I never dose iodine but if you add it as a supplement you'll need very little. Back when I did use it I think it was 1 drop per 100 gallons. I might be off but it's something like that

No it is not need, but it is one of the trace elements that a Ca reactor can not give you. I test bi-weekly and keep the levels at 0.06

I dose it for my shrimp and clams

Here is the dosage instructions:

Determine the iodine concentration in the aquarium using an accurate test kit before supplementing. Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Lugol’s will increase the concentration of iodine (“”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 34 ppm, or approximately 1.7 ppm per drop. Add this product at the maximum dosage of 1 drop (1/20th ml) per 35 US-gallons daily to maintain a concentration of 0.05 ppm. Always try to maintain the within a range of +/-0.02 ppm. Determine the required daily dosing rate (recommended to weekly dosing) by measuring the aquarium's at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period. Estimate the volume of water in the entire aquarium system; divide the daily decrease in by 1.7; multiply this number by the volume of water in the system to get the daily dosage required (drops) to maintain a stable .

Back