Neptune Aquatics

Tridacna derasa, T. maxima

Just wanting to feel out the field with regards to clams ... I've never had one before.

Lighting ... I understand T. derasa does not need as much light as other clams, such of T. crocea. I figure a derasa clam would do just fine on the bottom of my tank; my tank has a 150w MH above it. I have an SPS colony growing down there, so I am using that as an "okay" indication as well. But maxima clams are absolutely gorgeous; more so than the derasa! How much more light will the maxima need? More than I can provide at the bottom of my tank?

Feeding ... do these need to be target fed on a regular basis is the clam is a little under 3" across? I do feed Oyster Feast once a day in the morning before the lights come on. I can even throw some PhytoFeast in to the tank as well. But I do not target feed.

Flow ... I assume these guys do not need to be pummeled with water flow, but what is ideal? The water flow on the bottom of my tank is moderate.

Thanks!

target feeding is hard on them IMO and not needed. They can survive on light alone but a regular feeding of phyto will produce a stronger, healthier, faster growing clam.

They do not eat Oyster-Feast. They only utilize phyto, the rest i spit out as pseudofeces.

GreshamH said:
the rest i spit out as pseudofeces.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I use some Oyster Feast for myself nom nom nom nom :D haha

So sounds like I'll be picking up a bottle of PhytoFeast if everything else checks out with regards to the clams needs, and what my tank can provide :)

Any words of wisdom on the lighting and flow Gresh?

Back