Reef nutrition

Trident!!!

Just saw this on Official Neptune System's Facebook Group.

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 6.52.11 PM.png

Seriously, this Trident thing is ~90% of the reason I got my tank polished back up and kicking butt again.

I've had a reef tank tank continuously since 2002, I know how much discipline and effort is involved in keeping them running smoothly. I also know that LIFE happens sometimes, and few weeks of neglect can take monthsssss of extra attention to fix. Automatic chemistry testing and dosage adjustments means the tank has a much bigger buffer to keep it healthy and happy when I have to focus elsewhere for awhile.

Sooo yeah, I'm gonna go out and get my hands on one the very first second I can, brainwashed or not :D

“What are the maintenance and service needs for the Trident?

Like most aquarium devices, regular preventative maintenance is recommended so they perform as designed and have as long a lifespan as possible. The Trident is no different in this respect.

We recommend that the Trident have a routine service of a small number of its parts in the window of 18-24 months. And, while we will have a kit available for customers to do this maintenance themselves, we strongly suggest that the Trident be sent in to our service center to have this performed.

All of the particulars relating to this recommended maintenance will be released at a later time, but at this time we can say that the parts kit to do it yourself will be less than $100 and we are targeting between $150-$200 if sent in to be completed by our service technicians. In addition to these cost estimates, the service completed by Neptune Systems will have several pricing options including an advanced replacement option.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta support the people who support the club. At least thats the excuse I'm using.
I get that, but you'll support them whether you buy it on day 1 or on day 31.

All I'm saying is don't be an instrument in fueling secondary market price gouging on these things. I really dislike those people who buy up some good just to try and flip it for a quick buck, and the people who are willing to pay more than retail helps continue that horrible cycle.

I get that, but you'll support them whether you buy it on day 1 or on day 31.

All I'm saying is don't be an instrument in fueling secondary market price gouging on these things. I really dislike those people who buy up some good just to try and flip it for a quick buck, and the people who are willing to pay more than retail helps continue that horrible cycle.
As someone who prides his ability to find things "under retail" prices, I can guarantee you I will not pay a penny more than the retail price.

“What are the maintenance and service needs for the Trident?

Like most aquarium devices, regular preventative maintenance is recommended so they perform as designed and have as long a lifespan as possible. The Trident is no different in this respect.

We recommend that the Trident have a routine service of a small number of its parts in the window of 18-24 months. And, while we will have a kit available for customers to do this maintenance themselves, we strongly suggest that the Trident be sent in to our service center to have this performed.

All of the particulars relating to this recommended maintenance will be released at a later time, but at this time we can say that the parts kit to do it yourself will be less than $100 and we are targeting between $150-$200 if sent in to be completed by our service technicians. In addition to these cost estimates, the service completed by Neptune Systems will have several pricing options including an advanced replacement option.”

I don't get why this is such a big deal. At least they're being up front about it. If you follow the alkatronic recommended schedule for maintenance, you're suppose to replace the hoses with Focustronic supplied hoses (need to be correct length according to them) for all 4 pumps every 6-8 months at $4.50 a piece and then every 2 years, you should replace the pH probe. So it's roughly about the same price for maintenance.

I still haven't decided which one to get, if any, but I do like gadgets, so I'm sure I'll have some automated tester sooner or later.

I don't get why this is such a big deal. At least they're being up front about it. If you follow the alkatronic recommended schedule for maintenance, you're suppose to replace the hoses with Focustronic supplied hoses (need to be correct length according to them) for all 4 pumps every 6-8 months at $4.50 a piece and then every 2 years, you should replace the pH probe. So it's roughly about the same price for maintenance.

I still haven't decided which one to get, if any, but I do like gadgets, so I'm sure I'll have some automated tester sooner or later.

I’m just putting it out there. A lot of people miss it.

I don’t know which machine is better.

I get it, but a whole lot of people on other forums are moaning and whining over something that isn't any necessarily any better or worse than the other solutions. I think it's a moot point when it comes to today's automated testing machines and the fact that Neptune brought it to the forefront of the discussion is why it's garnering so much attention. Whereas you'll actually have to read the alkatronic manual to know you have to do actual maintenance.

Anyways, I may get a Trident down the road, but was already set on Alkatronic, and maybe KH Guardian. I got too exited about reading about all this Trident stuff going on and the eBay Trident sale, that I searched for Kh Guardian on eBay. Coralvue outlet on eBay has some for sale and had make offer button. I tried $350 fail and then $420 and got accepted. Can’t wait to try it!

p.s. I have Apex Classic so that left me with those options

No it's good info, and while not many really believe the "it'll last forever" most probably do not understand the level of maintenance and it's potential cost. Most pumps for instance you simply clean them off periodically and they're good to go until the next maintenance, if a magnet goes kaput, well it's easy enough to swap out an impeller, dosing pump, well replacing the tubing is easy enough to do, replacing the physical rotor/bearings maybe a little more skill required. Hell even Apex relays have a set lifetime (physical moving stuff and all that rot). But this is a relatively new type of equipment, so knowing what is expected down the road is definitely a nice bit of info to have.

Most people understand maintenance requirements to keep things working, but physical replacement of worn out stuff that's a largely grey area that is definitely dependent upon the type of equipment.

Back