Neptune Aquatics

Tripod recommendations

Hi all, I am looking to get a new tripod for my camera. I currently use a Dynex tripod I got from Best Buy because it was dirt cheap. However the Dynex tripod is very flimsy, and doesn't feel as sturdy as I would like it to.

So, here I am turning to you photog's for some recommendations. I don't even know what brands to start considering, or where to look. I intend to use it for general purposes as need, and macros, and some night time photography. Preferably something relatively light, and not something that weighs a ton, as I will be carrying it around. I am by all means a hobbyist, and no where near professional, so I am not looking sell a kidney to purchase a tripod. I suppose anywhere in the $100-150 range would be a nice starting point.
Thanks!

Bogen (Manfrotto) is a pretty solid and well known brand. THey have then in a WIDE range of prices. You can get the legs or heads separate or as a complete tripod. www.bhphoto.com for pricing etc :)

Carbon fiber is gonna be out of the question at that price range. If you can stretch it out a bit more, then take a look at Feisol CF or Gitzo CF.

Gomer said:
Bogen (Manfrotto) is a pretty solid and well known brand. THey have then in a WIDE range of prices. You can get the legs or heads separate or as a complete tripod. www.bhphoto.com for pricing etc :)
+1
I recently got a monfrotto tripod w/ head for about $150. I like it a lot, especially the ball head which makes it easy to adjust the camera. It's very well made, probably more than I need since I only use it indoors for now, but I'm happy with it.

@Eric, what are the benefits of having a carbon fiber tripod that warrant a higher price tag?

@Tony, desertreefer, and cookiejar -I'll look into the Bogen/Manfrotto right now, thanks :)

Ah, gotcha Phong, thanks for clarifying. I won't be climbing mountains or exposing this tripod to extreme conditions or anything, so I don't think carbon fiber is entirely necessary :D And they're pricey for a college kid! :(

Back