Neptune Aquatics

trocus snails breeding

This has happened before and I never really noticed it but I just had a spawn event happening yesterday. Its pretty cool. You can see all the snails bunch up together near the surface of the tank along the perimeter of the tank.. There were 3 groups of them. The all of a sudden milky sperm like liquid comes out of each snail. This lasted for 30 - 40 minutes and everyone went back down and started spreading out. Its pretty cool.

So todays date is 9/3/09. I'll update if I see any surviving baby snails. The last time this happened I had a lot of baby snails in the filter sock (I need to change them more frequently!).

Congrats, I have nassarius snails that lay eggs all the time, the babies live on the macro algae I have growing on some rock. I also have Stomatella that reproduce alot.

sid700 said:
I can use some trocus snails. I'll buy them from you.

Jim (Bookfish) has given hundreds out free (@ BAYMAC last Nov). Might want to contact him and see if he has some right now.

I'll see if I can convert some videos to pictures and post it this weekend. Its pretty amazing. I thought something had died initially because the tank was really cloudy.

I had the same thing happen about 2 months ago. At first I couldn't figure out want was going on but they were literally all going at once. Maybe a week or two later I noticed a bunch of small ones crusing around the tank mostly in the evening hours.

Pretty cool but man did my tank get cloudy for a while.

Just an update. 4 days ago 10/25/2009 I am seeing a LOT of baby trocus in the filter bag. So about 2 months roughly to go from eggs and larvae to actual snails with a shell. I am talking a ton of tiny babies. I thought about removing them and putting them in the tank BUT i also notice there are NO babies i the tank. This tells me something is eating them in the main tank. They are also thriving in the filter sock feeding on waste and left over food. So no sense removing the filter bag for now.

TO add more to this, the little larvae's and trocus snails survived 3 rounds of intercepter treatment and a LOT of water changes.. So I'm very happy to see this. ANyway for everyone else, if you see milky substance from your snails, start looking for babies in the refuge in 2 months.

andy

Back