Kessil

Trying to fix a broken kessil

I picked up an A360we that wasn't working. Not much info on why it stopped.

Power supply shows 19v but drops to less than 1v shortly after.

Took a risk and plugged the light into one of my power supplies and the fan kicked on for a second but no light output. Fan shut off after a little more than a second.

Obviously, something is really wrong and there are signs of excess moisture.

I sent a message to kessil but it's the weekend now.

Anyone have any skills with this stuff? I know just enough to get in trouble but I like projects like this.

I pulled it apart and cleaned everything. Enough moisture that the dust on the heatsync was almost muddy.

I didn't see any obviously failed components but I am impressed with the build quality. The boards are all coated to avoid moisture damage.

I have one that just stopped one day for no reason at all. Investigtors welcome!
I also have a brand new one that I dropped in the tank while swapping out the one that died...Haven’t tried firing it up yet.

I have one that just stopped one day for no reason at all. Investigtors welcome!
I also have a brand new one that I dropped in the tank while swapping out the one that died...Haven’t tried firing it up yet.
I just bought two of them a few days ago. When I was hanging them over the tank., my wife kindly let me know if I drop it in the tank, I'm fucked.

Not sure how the Kessil guts are put together but moisture, specially from saltwater, might seep and corrode electronics badly. A quick rinse in freshwater and drying throughly, can save the electronics

Eeek, I am so very long overdue for deep cleaning mine. For those who do not know, there is a 45-min YouTube video called Kessil University to walk you thru it.

Over the past couple of years, I've had 3 die on me. I have followed with Kessil to understand this and they told me that they had shorted out most likely due to dust buildup and moisture. So, as I have learned it is important to clean them regularly.

Over the past couple of years, I've had 3 die on me. I have followed with Kessil to understand this and they told me that they had shorted out most likely due to dust buildup and moisture. So, as I have learned it is important to clean them regularly.

In other words - Oops, Sorry for the poor design?

I’ve only used cans of spray air to blow them out
I’ve replaced several.....more than I should IMHO
Honestly the main reason I stay with the brand is they are geographically desirable

Erin, that's been my experience with Ecotech pumps (MP series), I replaced more than I should ... IMHO with what should be a high end pump, meanwhile I got Tunze stream pumps that are 20 years old, and about the only thing that really needs to be replaced on them is the impellers from being a bit "gnawed up" over the years.

Erin, that's been my experience with Ecotech pumps (MP series), I replaced more than I should ... IMHO with what should be a high end pump, meanwhile I got Tunze stream pumps that are 20 years old, and about the only thing that really needs to be replaced on them is the impellers from being a bit "gnawed up" over the years.
I think it's hit or miss with a lot of the stuff. I wish they were more consistent.

One of my MP-40 is 8 years old, has the old style box controller, and hasn't had any problems. My other one has had the wet side and dry side replaced in the last two years.

Maintenance is a key in equipment failing; evaporation causes condensation and then there's trouble.
A light fixture that recently was serviced, had some surface rust; while the fixture is running lamps on, it creates heat so stays mainly dry during those hours of run-time. As the luminaire cools, moisture condensates and is where trouble starts. I detected a "stream" mark running towards a lamp connector but didn't do much about that since the fixture (ATI) kept tripping the GFCI and we were aware two ballasts needed replacement.
While the ballasts arrived, I started removing some of the rust and detected some moisture dripping and started to take more things apart; a lamp holder had some greenish buildup, cleaned that (that's the stuff you don't want to fall into your tank and kill all your corals) another lamp socket was black on the outside and BINGO, it had some moisture inside which triggered arching and caused a short between the metal body and the lamp holder. Cleaned it and added some insulation between the socket and metal housing. turned the fixture on and no more tripping of the GFCI; all ballasts worked, and they are the expensive dimming units.
removed rust with the drill and a wire-brush and the surface was primed; now fixture should be back in use.

20181215_174635_Film1.jpg

20181215_175814_Film1.jpg

I exchanged a few emails with kessil. They offered to take a look at it but that alone is $50, not to mention any replacement parts.

They did offer a new light at a discounted price with a two year warranty.

Just replaced my return pump though so I probably won't pull the trigger on that for a while. It would be nice to have another a 360 to use on the frag tank and tie in with the display tank kessil program.

I exchanged a few emails with kessil. They offered to take a look at it but that alone is $50, not to mention any replacement parts.

They did offer a new light at a discounted price with a two year warranty.

Just replaced my return pump though so I probably won't pull the trigger on that for a while. It would be nice to have another a 360 to use on the frag tank and tie in with the display tank kessil program.
Did the tell you how old it was based on the serial number?

Back