trying to make a custom sump, but i need advices.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by nanocube-guy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Lots of teeth :D

Gen will chime in, I do know they ain't cheap.

2. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

i knew that was gen... I wonder if he notice :) He built my 13g before :) used to be a great qt tank.

3. krittertanks

krittertanks Sponsor

Tubey's right , but it may not be worth your while, the blades are like $120.00
    You can use normal blades w as many teeth as possible, the acrylic chips though because wood blades are aggressive.
    A jig saw works well also, after cutting a router and sander is used to smooth the edge. I suppose you can go from cutting to sanding, but youll have to sand w a straight edge to solvent bond. Weld on 16 is a rough gel glue that works well, use alot.

4. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

Kritter, are you Gen? :)

Sounds like a lot of work to cut some acrylic. I might as well buy one or custom order it.

5. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

It is a lot of work and keep in mind that you'll have to glue it correctly so no leaking. It was mentioned before but I would recommend no sand, w/o sand it's easier to clean the dietrus.

6. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

Sounds like it... :tired: Make i should just order it... huh? create one and ask for custom build.

7. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

I don't mean to discourage you, it's actually kinda fun if you're willing to learn a little and have patience. I think you can do it, you have to use the right glues and be able to hold the pieces in the correct positions so they can cure. I'm no expert- Gen is, but that's my $.02.

8. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

Well I don't have much tools anyways. Someone is thinking of helping me, but it might seem too many work for them. I does sound fun and it would be great if I were to finish my own refugium. I have to talk to my brother... he have the house tools, because i only have car tools.

9. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Remember Link, you can have the acrylic cut to your spec, then do the lay up yourself.

10. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

Thanks guys for everything. I appreciate your tips and time efforts helping me. I can't wait to push my 37g+ forward because I want to turn my "12g Plus" Nano-cube into a frag tank.

11. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

I wanted to make my own. But the cost of materials and time it would probably end up a lil less than what an expert like Gen can do. I ended up having Gen make my sump. :)

12. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

You could always go with a hang-on fuge if you're unsure of your custom sump/refugium creating abilities.

Though nice, I don't think they're worth the trouble on such a small tank. Making the sump is one thing, then you have to worry about how to get the water out of your tank, into the sump and back into your display. With such a small tank, there's little room for error. (Either running pumps dry, flooding, draining your display, etc) Going to empty the tank and drill it? HOB overflow? etc.

Save it for an upgrade :) Or use that money towards a good skimmer on your nano. Your corals and fish would appreciate it. It'd also help in spilled milk situations ;)

Didn't mean to discourage you from trying to make the custom sump - just don't want you to end up super frustrated or with an aquarium disaster! GL either way!

13. bookfish

bookfish Guest

I would get the tank you intend to use for the sump and start with no baffles. You can always set the return pump in a bowl or bucket and get much of the same bubble reduction. You can also feed a fuge (sand or no) inside a sump with an airline tube siphon from the overflow (don't siphon from the main tank unless from right at the surface) or a tap off of the main drain line. The fuge can be a tank in the sump or a bucket.

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

That's what Iv'e been doing lately Jim, just a bare tank with a little plastic basket in the center, put some liverock in the basket and some macro, overflow and skimmer on one side return pump on the other.

15. bookfish

bookfish Guest

Yeah, there's all kinds of easy ways to do sumps and for smaller sumps used with even medium sized return pumps, I think baffles can cause more problems than they solve.

16. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

That's one great idea! I'll see if i can look into that.
    Why baffles causes problematic?

17. bookfish

bookfish Guest

Because baffling a small sump with a medium pump can lead to more bubbles entrained in the water both because the baffles create their own turbulence and bubbles but also because if the sump is baffled and water velocity is high and in a linear flow, there is sometimes no chance for small bubbles to rise to the surface.

18. krittertanks

krittertanks Sponsor

Keep it simple! =) I likey

19. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Pretty much the same here. Plain old 4' sump/tank with drain and skimmer at one end, pile of live rock in the middle, and return pump at the other end.

20. Matt_Wandell

Matt_Wandell Honorary Member

I'm of the "no baffle" camp as well. Microbubbles can always be easily controlled with a very large micron nylon mesh sock if need be. If I did use baffles I like the idea of using rubber trim on the edges to make a seal rather than gluing the baffle in place. This way if you ever upgrade skimmer or want to add filtration or whatever you have flexibility to easily change it.