Cali Kid Corals

tskiller's Reefer 170

Well, I've got equipment coming in so it's about time I start my tank journal.

Unfortunately, the tank itself is still on it's way. It might be still on a container ship, or it might be on a truck headed to Aquarium Concepts by now. I figure I've still got a few weeks before it shows up, so plenty of time to get the rest of my gear sorted!

Tank
Red Sea Reefer 170 (its here its here its here!)
34G 24.5″x20"x20" Display
9G 11.8”x9.8” Sump
43G Total System Volume

Lights
Reef Radiance DM-165e (Arrived)
With apex controller upgrade and mount.

Filtration
Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS Skimmer (Arrived)
Spectrapure 90-GPD RO/DI System (arrived)
Spectrapure Dual Chamber Media Reactor (arrived)
BRS ROX .8 Carbon (arrived)
Phosfiltrum GFO (arrived)
Maybe Purigen?

Pumps
Sicce Silent 2.0 568 GPH return pump (arrived)
Vortech MP10w QD (arrived)
Something for the Media Reactor MJ1200?

Heater
2x 150w cobalt aquatics neotherm (arrived)

Salt
Aquavitro Salinity (one bucket arrived)

Live Rock
40 lbs Fiji

Substrate
2" deep 2:1 Mix of Tropic Eden Miniflakes to Reeflakes (arrived)

Controller/Misc
Apex Neptune Controller
Vortech Module
DOS dosing pump
Fauna Marin Balling Light

I'm kind of taking things slow until the actual tank arrives. I'll probably be ordering my RO/DI unit and media reactor later today, my heaters, filter media and test kits the week after, and with luck, picking up my tank the week after. I'll be installing my Apex sometime during my cycle, which helps spread out some of the initial cost.

Any advice and positive criticism is always appreciated.

Next up, some pics of what has already arrived!

Last edited:
A decent chunk of my gear has already arrived.

I've got my skimmer. It's a Reef Octopus 110SSS. Reef Octopus has a great reputation, and it's small enough to actually fit into my sump with proper water level.

XVGdpQt.jpg

uOpIUBD.jpg

Pumps are here too! I went with the Sicce Silent 2.0 for my return, which gives me about 550 gallons per hour which should be plenty. As for my circulation powerhead, I'm excited to try Ecotech's new Vortech MP10 QuietDrive. I may add a second MP10 when I start stocking SPS corals.

iMkBXsY.jpg

7Lh4Cy8.jpg

And now for my substrate! I went for the less commonly heard of Tropic Edin Reeflakes. I'm going to create a mixture of 2 parts Miniflakes, 1 Parts Reeflake and spread it to be about 2, 2.5 inches deep. I want to be able to keep a Goby+Pistol shrimp combination.

The Miniflake grain size is 2.0 mm, and the Reeflake is 3.5mm, and it's all crushed aragonite so it should be perfect for a mixed reef. Pics with dime for scale.

First up, miniflakes:

sPGfs0F.jpg

Up Close:
x5T5auD.jpg

Now the Reeflake:
xbOECsh.jpg

6kOrOLv.jpg

That's all the pictures I have for now. I'm pretty excited for my Reef Radiance light to arrive, and of course, my tank. Apparently the reason my tank is taking so long (been about a month since i ordered) is due to the port strike across the western coast. Oh well. Still gotta make my final decision and order my RO/DI, media reactor, test kits, reactor media, and a bunch of misc maintenance gear. I'll worry about live rock and picking up salt once I actually have my tank assembled.

Do any of you guys run Purigen, or is it just GAC/GFO these days? Am I missing anything? Anything I have selected a bad idea? This will be a mixed reef with mostly SPS.

I runo gfo and carbon in a dual reactor. Yeah the second ro membrane saves water and makes pruified water faster.

Cant wait to see the tank up and running! Keep us updated.

I'd skip the mj and just t off the return pump to power the reactor.
The jaeger heaters are good, especially since they'll be on a controller, but id maybe look at the neotherm instead

I'd skip the mj and just t off the return pump to power the reactor.
The jaeger heaters are good, especially since they'll be on a controller, but id maybe look at the neotherm instead

Good idea on the return pump. I was actually looking at the neotherm first, but they are kinda expensive. Is the price difference worth it?

Hi, is there a typo regarding what size your tank will be? I think the Red Sea Reefer 170 has 165 gallons total system volume so 40 pounds of rock doesn't sound adequate?!

I have the 150 version of that skimmer, I think you'll love it. Mine pulls a great amount of skimmate and is easy to adjust.

You'll want to make sure to get the right level of water in the sump for it and make sure the level doesn't rise, as it is sensitive and can overflow if the levels rise too much.

Good looking setup! I'm excited to see it up and running.

I have the 150 version of that skimmer, I think you'll love it. Mine pulls a great amount of skimmate and is easy to adjust.

You'll want to make sure to get the right level of water in the sump for it and make sure the level doesn't rise, as it is sensitive and can overflow if the levels rise too much.

Good looking setup! I'm excited to see it up and running.

Awesome! glad to hear it's a good skimmer. That's one area I don't have much experience with. I didn't need to use a skimmer with my 14G as long as I kept up with my water changes.

I also heard some news from Aquarium Concepts, it's looking like 2-3 weeks for my tanks to arrive! Hopefully closer to 2, but hey, I'm still waiting on my lights to arrive. I guess reef radiance wasn't kidding around that these are made to order and might take 10-14 days.

Awesome! glad to hear it's a good skimmer. That's one area I don't have much experience with. I didn't need to use a skimmer with my 14G as long as I kept up with my water changes.

I also heard some news from Aquarium Concepts, it's looking like 2-3 weeks for my tanks to arrive! Hopefully closer to 2, but hey, I'm still waiting on my lights to arrive. I guess reef radiance wasn't kidding around that these are made to order and might take 10-14 days.

It took a couple of days to break in my skimmer, so if you have some leftover tank water you could stick it in a bucket and let it run for a few days to break it in. Might save you some time down the road and lots of microbubbles in the display.

My RO/DI and media reactor is here. Here is my Spectrapure 90 GPD. It's on sale right now, seems to be a pretty good deal, especially if you need chloramine removal.

Cjhvbq3.jpg

I got a quick disconnect fitting for the faucet.

njVqDOF.jpg

And lastly is my Spectrapure dual chamber media reactor. Probably overkill for a tank my size, but I can use it to run GFO and GAC in separate chambers at the same time. I like this dual chamber model especially because it will let me control the water flow in each chamber independently of each other, so I can tumble my GFO and not my carbon.

wIkDHSI.jpg

All I really need now before I can get started is my lights and a test kit and a heater. Oh and my tank! :D

Haha sounds good. You got a container for making the rodi water? I use a 20 gallon brute trashcan. I also have it on wheels so i can easily roll the 200lbs of water around my house. Also got a floatvalve to shut off the rodi water in case i ever forget to shut off the water.

Ive flooded the kitchen at least 6 times now when making rodi water.

Haha sounds good. You got a container for making the rodi water? I use a 20 gallon brute trashcan. I also have it on wheels so i can easily roll the 200lbs of water around my house. Also got a floatvalve to shut off the rodi water in case i ever forget to shut off the water.

^^ This right here. I do the same:

28 gal Brute w/ wheels: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KDBCJ0 - $35
Float Valve for RODI ASV: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077RAX4W - $8

Check if your RODI has an Auto Shutoff Valve (ASV), if so a simple float valve will save your floors.

I love my spectra-pure RO/DI that I bought just a month ago....

Here are the two 55g containers that I got ordered one for New Salt Water & RO/DI Reservoir
This last weekend I just built cabinet to hold the two containers

Back