Our mission

Tunze Nano Skimmer Collecting Water ?

I am running the Tunze nano skimmer 9002 on an aquapod 24 gallon. I have done no mods to the skimmer. The skimmer gets a good bath every couple of months. It has been running good for almost almost a year now and recently, every once in a while the skimmer goes crazy and collects cups full of water even when it is dialed down to the max.
Has anyone else had this happen ?
Coud there be crack in the neck of the skimmer or area of the dial that is allowing excess air into the pump ?

tapmorf said:
I am running the Tunze nano skimmer 9002 on an aquapod 24 gallon. I have done no mods to the skimmer. The skimmer gets a good bath every couple of months. It has been running good for almost almost a year now and recently, every once in a while the skimmer goes crazy and collects cups full of water even when it is dialed down to the max.
Has anyone else had this happen ?
Coud there be crack in the neck of the skimmer or area of the dial that is allowing excess air into the pump ?

I had a coralife skimmer that did the same thing.
Cleaning the pump always fixed it. Sometimes even just turning it off.
Never found out exactly why, but I had 2 theories:
Either crud in the venturi caused LESS air to come in, or crud in the needle wheel caused
the wheel to act more like a pump, and less like an air/water mixer.
The result either way is to pump a lot more water, so you get a sudden big overflow.

Could also be an additive, food, or spawning event in the tank. Any surfactant or something that effects how the foam forms/behaves will determine how it bubbles over into the cup. FWIW I used a Tunze 9002 for a while and had an awful time dialing it in, ultimately failing. This was also mostly due to fluctuating water level, but still, it isn't unheard of.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The water level is pretty consistant with the ATO I have hooked up. I don't really do any dosing, keep it simple and with 1 fish, not much feeding too :) I may try cleaning the pump again, as a last ditch effort, even though I gave it a vinegar bath not more than a weeks ago, when this happened last. Turning it off does not seem to help. I would have to agree, that this skimmer is one of the harder ones to dial in.

Back