Cali Kid Corals

Two part raising my salinity

I’ve been running b ionic 2 part for almost a year now. I’m up to 70ml to maintain levels.

I am constantly fighting high salinity. Every week when I test my tank I am finding readings around 1.028-1.029.

I have not been consistent with it, but I will just take out about a half gallon of tank water and let the ATO fill it back up now and again. I’m just sick and tired of fighting it.

Any other 2 parts that won’t raise the salinity?

I know it’s not my digital refractometer because my frag tank stays constant...I don’t dose that tank because it’s all zoas.

I think I would exceed the maximum allowable amount on my tank with that stuff. Plus it’ll cost like 8x what b ionic costs. I did the math. It would be $62 a month if it has the same potency as b ionic

I wish it said how concentrated it was.

I was having the same issue with 2 part raising my salinity, which is why I’m runnning a calcium reactor now. As far as I know, all brands of standard 2 part are sodium carbonate, and calcium chloride. Your coral uses the calcium and the carbonate, leaving the sodium and chloride behind as....

Incidentally, I was adding so much 2 part because I was having serious precipitation issues (solved now), even though I kept my Mg around 1400 ppm. If your pH isn’t too high, have you thought adding some kalk to your dosing routine?

I was having the same issue with 2 part raising my salinity, which is why I’m runnning a calcium reactor now. As far as I know, all brands of standard 2 part are sodium carbonate, and calcium chloride. Your coral uses the calcium and the carbonate, leaving the sodium and chloride behind as....

Incidentally, I was adding so much 2 part because I was having serious precipitation issues (solved now), even though I kept my Mg around 1400 ppm. If your pH isn’t too high, have you thought adding some kalk to your dosing routine?

I don’t really want to do kalk because I’m already running my ph pretty high with a co2 scrubber. And I love the simplicity of 2 part.

I’m not seeing any precipitation anywhere in the tank.

I really do wish I had room for a calcium reactor, but at the same time I would hate having to tinker with it.

How much alk are you adding? My tank in TX takes a bit more than 1 dKH per day and I haven’t had any major salinity issues in over a year. I take out a few gallons per month (est. 600 gallon system) in frag transportation, a few gallons of macro, and 5-10 gallons of fairly wet skimmer effluent, but that seems to keep me steady.
Have you thought about just skimming wetter?

I do skim pretty wet already. I have to drain my cup every 3 days.

I’m adding 70 ml of b ionic. I have no clue what dkh that translates to. I just dialed the tank in slowly and usually have to up the percentage about 3 ml’s per week to keep up with demand.

Yes, all those things mess with your levels.
Do you do regular water changes? If so, simply put a bit less salt water in to replace what you siphon out,
and let ATO add a bit of fresh water.
After a while you should get a feel for how much.

Yes, all those things mess with your levels.
Do you do regular water changes? If so, simply put a bit less salt water in to replace what you siphon out,
and let ATO add a bit of fresh water.
After a while you should get a feel for how much.

I do weekly water changes. That is a good idea...thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're dosing a TON of 2part? Any chance you're having precipitation issues too?
Definitely. Especially on my heaters.
I added a Kalk doser to reduce the use of two part, but it has not made a ton of difference.
May eventually switch to a CaRx.

Note: I have an auto-water-exchange system, so simply tweak the input/output timers to tweak salinity.
I wish the Apex conductivity monitor was reliable enough to make it automatic, but it is not.

I think reducing precipitation ( make sure to dose into a HIGH flow area of the tank, and dose SLOWLY ) might be the best place to start here.

I do not have any precipitation issues at all. My tank is just jammed full of small colonies and larger frags that are growing rapidly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you said you don’t have room for a carx but you might need to make room. I think one of our members has theirs in a closet on the other side of the wall from the tank.

Your doser probably doesn’t take up much room but I’m sure your reservoirs do (unless you’re refilling them constantly).

Back