Kessil

Two Part

patchin

Supporting Member
I think it's time to start dosing. Any suggestions on which specific kit or chemicals to buy? I was thinking about the smallest kit or package from Two Part Solutions.
TIA

I really liked the Brightwell 2part but I'm trying B-Ionic right now. So far the B-Ionic isn't any help increasing CA but it helps maintain it and has some trace elements but I don't recall if the Brightwell did or not.

I'm using b-ionic two part in my frag tank right now, it doesn't really bring my levels up, even with big doses, but it keeps the levels from dropping as quickly...

not exactly sure why, but it helps the colors and growth in my tank A LOT!

I will probably get the easy twopartsolution.com stuff next.

Art because your corals are using it up.

Also if one level is too high it will precipitate the other. But as in your case, I think your magnesium might be too low

Ya. Was just looking there. Tempted to get their advertised RO system. Tired of lugging jugs out to dublin to get water every few weeks LOL.

[quote author=northbay-reefer link=topic=3103.msg33801#msg33801 date=1203093603]
Art because your corals are using it up.

Also if one level is too high it will precipitate the other. But as in your case, I think your magnesium might be too low
[/quote]

yeah it could be they're using insane amounts

I checked magnesium, it's actually ok too.

Just do it Tony. You will be glad you did. Lugging jugs was my method for the last 4 or so years and now that I finnally bit the bullet and got and RODI unit I think back and wonder..... whhat the heck was I doing.

Is the $149 RO system they list, a good one?

I only have a 10g and 14g tank, so I don't go through a ton of water. With the lowish usage from WC's and Top off, what would you say the life expectancy of the RO unit before having to replace filters etc?

...now I need to sell off some surplus equipment to fund raise LOL

Gomer, the $149 unit is good, depending on you municipality, and evaporation rate, WC routine you can expect to get anywhere from 3 months to 1 year out of your sediment and carbon. If your really low usage, and good source water your membrane can last for years, typically on the penninsula I have to change membranes about every 1.5 years, again this is for large tanks. I have a unit in Millbrae that has a three year old membrane that still produces about 1-2 TDS after the DI.

You wanna talk about lugging jugs I changed ~220 gallons on Tuesday, carried all the jugs mixed up on site, and lugged buckets to the curb/toilet. It was way too much fun :p

Oh yeah, this was Steve's thread, I use their two-part and am happy. Lately I've been using Arm&Hammer, baked, only because I'm waiting to run out of Calcium. Other than that I've had no problems, I like Drew's Eco-Doser too that's how I supplement my Alk, it's on a timer set to go on several times during the dark cycle.

Tony, I bought my RO/DI off of eBay, and have been pretty happy with it. I think I paid $89 for it. There's a bunch of different sellers that sell them - I got mine from aquasafesystems.

Or you could support our sponsor [ shameless plug] Spectrapure. They also have some nice units. There are occasional group buys listed.

As for two part. I am another user of Bulk Reef Supply (aka twopartsolution.com).

Just got ready to order Two Part and was kinda shocked at the shipping cost. For the smallest kit, it costs $9 to ship a $11 kit. For the $50 or $60 kit, it costs $27 to ship. Is this what you guys pay?

Is it easy to use Dow flake from Purity, Baking soda(which we have in the freezer), and epson salts?

Those shipping costs are quoted on their website as UPS costs.

This should help :)

In this thread I will posting detailed instructions on how to make your own inexpensive, suitable and effective alternative means to supply your reef with the proper nutrients and supplements it needs with out breaking the bank ! ( Most all will be copy and paste with source links)I don't know about you but I am tired of paying $$ every couple weeks for named brand items that can be formulated easily at home for less than half the cost of name brand store bought supplements.On average I spend around $100.00 or more on supplements for my reefs. Wouldn't it would be nice if we could free that up by making them in bulk that will last 3-4 months for half the price of one store bought item?Together we are going to find out how we can do just that safely and efficiently !Please do not litter this thread with argumentative comments or anything like that. If this goes over well I think it will have GREAT "sticky" potential and will be placed in an easy to find spot for others to see and use. If you have any questions or comments please keep them limited to the subject at hand involving the usage and making of these items. :)

2 part calcium and alkalinity solution.

Recipe #1 is for use in aquaria where the pH is normal to low. It will have a pH raising effect due to the elevated pH of the alkalinity part, as do most of the commercial two-part additives. The rise that you get will depend on the alkalinity in your aquarium, and, of course, on how much you add. If you add on the order of 0.5 meq/l of alkalinity then the pH will rise about 0.15 to 0.35 pH units immediately upon addition (and higher locally before it has a chance to mix into the whole aquarium).So if you are using limewater (kalkwasser) and the aquarium runs at pH 8.4 or above, this recipe is not the best choice. Otherwise, it is likely to be a good option.

Recipe #2 is for use in aquaria where the pH is on the high side (above 8.3 or so). It will have a very small pH lowering effect when initially added. The drop that you get will depend on the alkalinity in your aquarium, and, of course, on how much you add. If you add on the order of 0.5 meq/l of alkalinity then the pH will drop by about 0.04 pH units immediately upon addition. The pH may later rise if the aquarium is permitted to blow off excess CO2. This recipe is half as concentrated as Recipe #1.

Source: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

Recipe #1

In this recipe you make 3 stock solutions. Two are used frequently, and one is only used occasionally to balance things out.You can mix and store the solutions in any all-plastic or glass container. Plastic 1-gallon milk cartons (typically made of HDPE, high density polyethylene) can be a good choice.

Part 1: Calcium

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (Such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You can dissolve it in about ½ gallon of water, and then pour that into the 1 gallon container and fill to the top with more fresh water. This solution is then about 37,000 ppm in calcium.If you use an anhydrous calcium chloride (such as Kent's Turbo Calcium or Peladow Calcium Chloride (a brand sold by Dow that some believe may just be a dehydrated equivalent of the Dowflake), then you should use about 20% (1/5) less solid calcium chloride to make the recipe. Note that the solution will get quite hot when dissolved anhydrous calcium chloride.

Part 2: Alkalinity

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300 °F for 1 hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds the dissolution process. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice.

Part 3: Magnesium Sulfate

Dissolve a 64 ounce container of Epsom salts (about 8 cups) in enough purified fresh water to make 1 gallon total volume. This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of the Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably in a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I'd suggest adding it slowly; especially the first time you do so to make sure that corals don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of magnesium, sulfate, or any impurities in your Epsom Salts. The first time that you add it, you might add a small portion and make sure there isn't any problem before proceeding to add the remainder. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium and 187,000 ppm sulfate.

Recipe #2

In this recipe you make 3 stock solutions. Two are used frequently, and one is only used occasionally to balance things out. You can mix and store the solutions in any all plastic or glass container. Plastic 1-gallon milk cartons (typically made of HDPE, high density polyethylene) can be a good choice.

Part 1: Calcium

Dissolve 250 grams (about 1 ¼ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (Such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You can dissolve it in about ½ gallon of water, and then pour that into the 1 gallon container and fill to the top with more fresh water. This solution is then about 18,500 ppm in calcium.

If you use an anhydrous calcium chloride (such as Kent's Turbo Calcium or Peladow Calcium Chloride (a brand sold by Dow that some believe may just be a dehydrated equivalent of the Dowflake), then you should use about 20% (1/5) less solid calcium chloride to make the recipe. Note that the solution will get quite hot when dissolved anhydrous calcium chloride.

Part 2: Alkalinity

Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds the dissolution process. This solution will contain about 950 meq/L of alkalinity (2660 dKH). Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice of baking soda brand.

These two solutions are added as frequently as necessary to maintain calcium and alkalinity. In some light to medium demand aquaria, you may not need daily additions, especially for calcium. Nevertheless, unless testing shows that you should do otherwise, add equal amounts of Parts 1 and 2 over the course of a week.

Part 3: Magnesium

Dissolve a 64 ounce container of Epsom salts (about 8 cups) in enough purified fresh water to make 1 gallon total volume. This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of the Recipe #1, add 305 mL (1 ¼ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably in a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I'd suggest adding it slowly; especially the first time you do so to make sure that corals don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of magnesium, sulfate, or any impurities in your Epsom Salts. The first time that you add it, you might add a small portion and make sure there isn't any problem before proceeding to add the remainder. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium and 187,000 ppm sulfate.

Back