got ethical husbandry?

Ugly Corals

patchin

Supporting Member
I've ended up with some ugly greenish brown mushrooms in T's nano. Of course, the stuff you don't want spreads. I'm just having a little trouble with the idea of just throwing them out. After all, the are living things. Anybody else have similar feelings?

All the time, except in the case of ugly Palys, they can kill. Otherwise we're hard wired to be the stewards of our animals, so it is a difficult decision.

Short answer: Yes I do feel bad about throwing out living "animals"... however there needs to be a point where you have to get rid of those feelings... would you kill a mouse/rat because its being a pest? how about insects? You got something like brown palys, toss them. Other.. more colorful stuff will grow.

a frag swap or two ago I removed every brown coral I had, I don't care if it had a slight green tint under 1.21 Gigawatts of actinic lighting, it went.

patchin said:
I've ended up with some ugly greenish brown mushrooms in T's nano. Of course, the stuff you don't want spreads. I'm just having a little trouble with the idea of just throwing them out. After all, the are living things. Anybody else have similar feelings?
Ask your LFS if they will take them.
I remember when I thought that aptaisia was cool.
Some sucker will buy the ugly GB Mushrooms.

I have never had a LFS refuse a "donation" of livestock. Worked great for prolific guppies, cherry shrimp, plants, etc. Also gives you some positive karma. ;)

I could get you some purple mushrooms that will overgrow the brown mushrooms; I don't think they will use chemicals since they are the same genus.

JAR said:
patchin said:

The last line is the rub. I have issues (many if you ask my wife) giving anything living up. Not knowing who would get the mushrooms and how they would be taken care of makes this a moot case. They stick with me 'till death or a person I know comes along that wants them. Right now I have two african cichlids in my office that I'm waiting to die so I can tear down the tank. It's been 4 years and I'm still waiting.

Ask my wife about the time I was considering fostering rescue malamutes. She knows me and that they'd never leave for other homes. One of the only times she put her foot down. :bigsmile:

-Gregory

GDawson said:
JAR said:
patchin said:

The last line is the rub. I have issues (many if you ask my wife) giving anything living up. Not knowing who would get the mushrooms and how they would be taken care of makes this a moot case. They stick with me 'till death or a person I know comes along that wants them. Right now I have two african cichlids in my office that I'm waiting to die so I can tear down the tank. It's been 4 years and I'm still waiting.

Ask my wife about the time I was considering fostering rescue malamutes. She knows me and that they'd never leave for other homes. One of the only times she put her foot down. :bigsmile:

-Gregory

Sounds like a bad episde of Hoarders.

We're animal lovers and avoided the show for a long time. The other night we gave it a try.....and lasted about 30 seconds. Can't imagine why someone would want to watch all that misery and saddness.

-Gregory

Back