Reef nutrition

(un)intended Frag swap aftershocks, side effects

Well, I forgot to pay in advance so I didn't actually swap, but I went to the swap to "Recharge my Reef Enthusiasm" and to soak in the reefing energy.

It must have worked because there is a new (to me) 180g RR tank sitting in my garage now ;)

Now let's see what the after-effects of putting a 6'x2' tanks and stand in the garage is (sitting side by side as the stand needs work). I'm sure the effect is directly proportional to how long they sit in the garage, leaving only a 1 foot wide access path to the washer and dryer.

Watch for a new Tank Journal! Hopefully not followed by, divorce papers and child support forms! j/k!

V

Nice buy! The tank from RC? That's a steal!!!

BTW, I don't think you're gonna play that PS3 game I gave you. :D It's pretty hard to play games now a days with 2 kids and a 100 gallon.

Yep, Chappy's tank (Not Qwiv's acrylic) ! I had to recruit 2 buddies and buy them lunch. Jim was nice enough to accompany me home and help me unload it. As it turns out, the tank (with 4 guys) isn't that bad at all, especially since I built a cart to move it. The stand was problematic. There was water damage and some panels came off while we were moving it, I'll have to fix it up.

I'm still considering whether or not to buy his sump and return pump. I have a 100g acrylic (scratched to all hell) in my workshop that might make a good sump, but would take up a heck of a lot of space in the cabinet and my wife only agreed to the new tank if she didn't have to look at any equipment!

V

Hey Vince ... if you need a sump give me a shout since I have a CY294 (dual skimmers) plus a supplemental sump that will be available. This was the one in the garage that was running the 180 show wall divider in the house.

Robin

My main problem is my frag racks are full and my tank real estate value right now is at Tokyo levels. I have to unload some stuff.

I still have to figure out the sump stuff, but my mind is on the floor reinforcement at the moment, and I also have to get two moving dollies (or make them) so I can at least shove the stand out of the way when I need to (so it's not blocking ALL of the garage!). Then I gotta work out how to route some power there (my house was built in 1939, so it has ONE outlet in each room, enough for a radio and maybe a fancy talking picture machine).

Chappy said he was going to hang onto the sump for a bit. I'm undecided if I want to just buy his sump and return pump (and maybe his 8-way Oceans Motions!) setup or not. I like the return and stuff, and I know a 180 needs a lot of flow. I'm cheap on electricity though so I thought I might use one of my current return pumps and my 2 way oceans motions. Having spent so much on the tank and stuff, the sticker shock of extra power (for lights) might cause the wife to do some hard looking at the tank.

I figured, you know, with mortgage, kids tuition, etc, etc, it's a stretch to put money into a new tank ... but on the other hand, if I'm spending money, why should everyone else get to enjoy it?

V

Going to put new plugs in? Should be fairly easy to run conduit or romex under that crawl space of yours assuming it goes near your circuit box (or please don't tell me you still got fuses :D)

Well, most of the circuits in the house go to ... a fuse box! There is another subpanel that has breakers in it.

A few years ago, I drew a pic of the house and then shut off/on all the fuses/breakers to map them out. The new bathroom has new circuits in the breaker subpanel.

From the crawlspace, I see some romex running near the tank location, with my map I can tell where it's going and what else is attached to it.
I might still drop a new line in from the breaker panel though, but if that's too hard, I'll just drop from the new bathroom wiring (since it only powers the bathroom).

I think I need to write up a plan of action including floor support, running electrical circuits, exact location of tank, laying down another layer of polyurethane (or SOMETHING to protect the floor!) Then furniture shuffle.

To make matters suck, we need to tent our house for termites, so I have to evict the 58g tank inhabitants. Since I have a workshop in the backyard, they will live in temporary housing in there while the house is being poisoned. I'll see if I can cram everything in a 30g tank. The mushrooms and aiptasia will be left to their fate while the house is being poisoned.

I'll start a tank log...

V

sfboarders said:
Nice buy! The tank from RC? That's a steal!!!

BTW, I don't think you're gonna play that PS3 game I gave you. :D It's pretty hard to play games now a days with 2 kids and a 100 gallon.

No wife?

Vince, so the sub-panel runs off the fuse box? Maybe looking into replacing the fuse box be a good thing to do; at home (old apt. 1920's) have a fuse box and sucks; am very limited in power; if I plug in a toaster oven, fuses blow; both fuse and main are 20 amp rated; most of the day we are out but there's a time of day when we are home doing stuff, tv on, fridge, mw oven, etc... all small things plugged in suddenly no power; if I'm home that's alright because I can deal with the issue but my wife doesn't know how to replace a fuse...

No, actually there are two subpanels. OK, actually 3 subpanels. The main is outside, it goes to the "main" subpanel in a closet, this one has fuses. Another connection goes to a subpanel with breakers in the garage, this was added in the 1980's when the kitchen was remodelled. The third subpanel is in my workshop/crapstorage in the backyard. I replaced the ancient (and unsafe) Federal Pacific subpanel in there with a Home Depot Square D (whatever their slightly more expensive brand was) panel. During our bathroom addition an electrician had to remove the connection and re-connect it, so I'm sure he did it to code. (It was originally done by the previous homeowner I think, not sure if they used an electrician or not).

The fused panel has tube & knob (UGH!) wiring so I generally never touch that. I'll be tapping off the garage subpanel for the new tank wiring, since that is the closest and easiest and I really don't want to touch the T&K stuff.

ANd one day, I will play those PS/3 games!

Currently, I need to do the beam/post addition and some earthquake retrofit stuff, but while I'm in the crawlspace, I'll most likely wire in some lights since I hate being down there and we use part of it as storage. Poking around with a corded worklight is inconvenient and a aiming a flashlight in close quarters is difficult!

Sooooo many things to do.

V

JAR said:
Tamazula said:
My main problem is my frag racks are full and my tank real estate value right now is at Tokyo levels. I have to unload some stuff.

No worries.

Also I am pretty sure I posted that before the earthquake, in case anyone reads it now and thinks it had some context. Think I might sell off some older frags.

Back