Cali Kid Corals

Unable to polish out hazy glass

Got this IM Fusion 20 gallon all in one setup on craigslust, then saw the inside surface to the right looks hazy. See photo attached.

Previous owner said this side was away from sun light and the clear circle was where the wavemaker was located. There are a few random smaller clear circles on this side - I wonder if they tell some clues of what caused the hazy look.

I have tried diluted and pure vinegar, no luck. Then Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound with a sponge, and with a powered polishing tool (its surface is black foam), again no luck.

I will try rubbing with baking soda, and i also have polishing compond for brass ware i will try.

Is it ok to try muriatic acid at full strength on this inner surface?

Anyone seen this kind of stubbon stuff? Maybe the hazy look is iched glass instead of buildup?

Attachments

• Hazy Glass.jpg
    Hazy Glass.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 202
if you can turn it on it's side, try a bit of muratic acid in a little drop and see if it gives you a little clear circle in the location. While yes it is a strong acid it isn't magical, it needs to react with the right stuff to start fizzing up... and with glass it's absolutely fine to use.

Tried other polishing compound, no improvement.

900 grits Sand paper does make scratch lines over the haze. I am wondering if 2000 grit sandpaper is fine enough to use (with my handheld orbital sander)?

Amazon also sells cerium oxide glass polish, but unsure if result will be more haze or not. And have to wait another week.

I will try muratic acid tomorrow. Full strength?

Ouch, you actually sanded the glass? Yeah, that's not coming out with muriatic acid, feel free to try it for whatever the white haziness is though. Cerium Oxide can be used to get scratches out of glass, and might be your best bet for the damage you caused with the sand paper.

I used 900 grit sand paper in one small area only. I think the cerium oxide may polish out.

Will try acid tomorrow on the haziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a kit from ebay, it will contain the different grits plus cerium oxide. I've been eyeing a kit because I have a tank with what seems hard water deposits (vinegar should take care of that) but I spotted some small scratches. I'm not sure if a Micromesh kit will work on glass; works wonders on acrylic !

10 seconds scrubbing with q-tip cotton dabbed with muriatic acid did nothing. Jeweler's rouge by hand scrubbing appears clear the haziness a bit.

Anybody used cerium oxide? Does it lead to clear glass or still visibly hazy?

I have not done it myself but have seen and asked glass technicians when they had been polishing large glass panes that were either scratched and/or acid damaged, results were "like new". Eastwood has a glass polishing kit too, used to polish windshields/glass of vintage cars.

Cerium Oxide from ebay worked for me. Nothing else I tried (vinegar, muriatic acid, heavy duty polishing compound) was effective.

Took me 2~3 hours (counting contact time only, not setup time). I used both a orbital sander and a power drill with an adapter. The power drill seems to achieve a lot quicker.

This whole job demands lots of patience. You lean the best thickness of the cerium solution along the way.

Tank is now back in business again!

Back