High Tide Aquatics

Unbelivable situation... any ideas?

seminolecpa

Past President
Was working on my tank tonight moving a few colonies around and it appears one of my foxfaces desided to take a bite of some of the still drying glue. He is swimming around the tank with a glob of super glue attached to his mouth.

I wouldn't believe this if I didn't see it myself. What if anything should I do?

If all goes well, it is only weakly bound and will shed off in a few days (sorta like when you wet your finger and apply ICgel to it to attach frags. glue sticks to your finger, but not that well)

Make sure he is able to eat though.

Here is a pic. It is almost funny and sad at the same time. Just plain bizarre.

IMG_6992.jpg

wow...worse than I thought. Comical and sad at the same time. I would just monitor him and if by a couple days it isn't removed enough for him to eat, I'd try and catch him and see if it just takes a little "assistance" to pull out. It hopefully is more superficial than anything. I doubt it is deep into his mouth.

It looks like most of it is gone now. I will see what he looks like in the morning. He isn't acting oddly and thankfully had eaten no to long before. At first I thought he was shewing on a piece of sponge. Very strange looking though.

seminolecpa said:
Was working on my tank tonight moving a few colonies around and it appears one of my foxfaces desided to take a bite of some of the still drying glue. He is swimming around the tank with a glob of super glue attached to his mouth.

I wouldn't believe this if I didn't see it myself. What if anything should I do?

Turn yourself in now!
It only gets worse.
Tell your wife to hide the dog. :D

Bryan

I had the same happen with my purple tang, i waited a couple of days but no improvement ( i could not eat ) , so i caught with net and gently grabbed the glue ....as i lifted up a little , the fish shook and glue came off .....fish swam off and lived happily ever after :D .........well at least another 9 months until it got sucked into one of my tunzes :(( R.I.P.

Sergio

Bad side with this being a foxface.... they are venomous which would make the getting it off myslef proceedure a little bit more tricky.

Good news is that tt looks like a big chunk of it came off and I can clearly see he can open and close his mouth. Just a small amount left on one side of his mouth. I suspect he will be fine at this point but will give him a look tomorrow.

Venom is not THAT bad... more like a bee sting... trust me :D But if you can net him, simply use something to hold him flat then try to yank the glue off.

Wrap him up with a damp wash cloth.

Saw a pic of a vet doing that with a porcupine fish so he could dremel his beak which had become overgrown.

I've had this happen to a wrasse and a tang. In both cases the glue dropped away itself.

Good news. He is in fact eating today. Still has some residual glue on his mouth but it sure isn't stoping him from eating.

Proof positive that some fish will eat anything.

I expect that the remaining glue will fall off on its own after a while. I am going to thus leave him alone.

Back