underwater transparent spiders all over dead sps. WTF is it

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by JRocha, Dec 18, 2010.

1. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

I was removing all the dead snails and dead frags and when I pulled out a dead sps frag plug there was over 10 tiny transparent spiders all over it. they are about the size of a small pinhead. are they bad? I have never seen anything like it. they have 8 legs and walk like a spider. I have no idea where they came from and if they eat coral. does anybody have any ideas?

2. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

oh yeah the frag plug was under some rocks so they were in no light.

3. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

Holy crap!
    I hope you didn't touch them!
    Once they get in your bloodstream your a goner!

4. treylane

treylane Guest

5. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

OH NO! NOT YOUR BABY!
    the things we sacrifice for the hobby...

6. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

There is a clue here.
    Your dead for sure.
    Don't worry though... I'm sure some of us can take some of your stuff before your gone.
    I figure you have around 24 hours.

7. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

New avatar ftw!

8. Dan

Dan Guest

9. zepplock

zepplock Guest

thats NSFW >.>

10. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

Nice. I was getting a chalice frag that fell through some rocks and I found the sps frag and a couple snail shells so I was removing them. I found the little guys and figured I try to find out what they were, but I will see if I keep finding them. So far all my other corals are doing just fine. So we'll see what happens now that I know they are there.

11. Crabby

Crabby Guest

Try searching "pycnogonids". These are sea spiders ( not really Arachnida. )

12. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

That looks exaclty like what I found just the really small version and different color. maybe this explains the random snail death, since they can eat small inverts. I wonder what wrasse hunts these down. thanks