got ethical husbandry?

Unfamiliar white spots on purple tang :(

iCon

Supporting Member
So I noticed some white spots on my tang and I'm not 100% sure of what they are. If ich is the size of a pin dot, then these spots are about the size of a pencil dot. There are maybe 5-6 per side of the fish and the tail has a little spot. It doesn't really look like ich IMO. It doesn't really look like velvet either since there aren't any gray spots developing. Any ideas? The spots developed over a time when I was out of town and the tank was only being fed pellets. I have since resumed garlic and selcon soaked mysis along with Rod's. Little bit puzzled... I've seen ich and velvet but this really doesn't look like either. Definitely not lympho. No flashing, swims around normally, clear eyes, eats like a pig.. Any ideas?

Not sure if it matters, but when the lights have been off for a while and i turn on an ambient room light, none of the spots are present. Fish color fades as normal. Other miscellaneous tank factors include a recently added tilefish - maybe they fight over the same sleeping spot or some other cause of stress. Alk swings due to some dosing issues. Fluctuating between 7-9/10 dkh.

Thx in adv. :)

I know it's hard to diagnose without a picture, but I don't have one available at the moment and I doubt you'd really be able to see anything with the equipment I have. I'll give the 100mm a shot tm, time permitting.

I am wondering if the spots seem to move from spot to another, because if they do not hen they might be wounds. Or they could be cysts forming because of an infection.

nudibranch said:
I am wondering if the spots seem to move from spot to another, because if they do not hen they might be wounds. Or they could be cysts forming because of an infection.

They don't seem to move. Would they move if they're cysts...?

Wounds from what? Tight spaces in rockwork? None of my fish show any aggression to one another. Tang does get skittish when people approach the tank?

What to do for wounds/cysts? Though, there was a spot in/on the tail...Probably not a wound?

*shrug...*

tuberider said:
Do you see tiny little beady eyes if you look real close?

No... Very hard to tell since this guy swims around a lot but not that I can see.........

Still puzzled. I almost want to wish that it's ich so I can be assured I'm going about the correct course of action but I'm really not sure.

One spot almost looks like a tiny hole that has flesh hanging out. The others just look like big ich but not so much on the fish...more like in the skin. Maybe a non-ich parasitic infection? o_O.... From what I'm reading it seems like worms usually attack certain parts of the fish but these spots are in random places with no real pattern...Maybe a total of 3-5 white spots on the entire body of the fish today... None on/in the tail.

I don't think he was thinking worms as they don't have beady little eyes :)

GreshamH said:
I don't think he was thinking worms as they don't have beady little eyes :)

I was thinking of the South Park episode where a critter is hollering "Keh-leh!", those critters, but in fish eating form instead of human..

Back