got ethical husbandry?

Unknown hitchhikers

Hello everyone! I've recently been noticing quite a few of these weird brown spiraling tubes in my tank. They are all over the rocks and especially on the hard skeletons of my LPS. Does anyone know what these are?? Pics on the way soon.

8ea22d7d1056c8b4d959a56508aad209.jpg
c079174245786b8515783749edf73645.jpg
7beeee17b9c1461418ae025ace5e89e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell from the pics. Google vernetid snail and see if that's what they look like to you. Not harmless.
That is what they look like. I looked it up and it said that they impede stony coral growth. How do you recommend I remove them?

Last edited:
I don't think dips kill these. I think they need to be spotted and manually removed before going in the dt. These are on my most (un)wanted list.

I find vermatids very hard to avoid. Have you been successful thus far Flagg?

Funny you ask. I just killed two yesterday and I've seen one or two before. I kill them the moment I see them to try and limit any chance they have to reproduce.

For awhile I was trying to kill them on sight, but there were some in the nooks and crannies of the rock work and along the back. Those were multiplying and I knew it was a losing battle. So now I'm just letting it ride. Most people on the forums seem to say that the tide may ebb with time, but it seems like you're experience was different.

I've decided to let it go. I only intervene if they release the slime trails and it comes into contact with corals. But I'll admit even if they don't touch any corals, I will trace the slime back and crush the vermitid. Its just unsightly.

There were some in my 190 but now I don't see any slime trails anymore. Even when I feed the tank. My 2 wrasses (Radiant and Ornate) might have cleaned them up.

I stopped crushing them too, but it seems my population of vermatid are kept in check with my radiant and yellow coris wrasse. Seems that they're also keeping check on baby trochus snails too.

Back