Kessil

UPGRADING! :D

My parents said that for my Birthday in April I might be able to upgrade to the 28g NanoCube with 150w HQI! :D
So there is a good chance I'll be upgrading my 14g to the 28g which means I want to sell my 14g in a few months. It will be a bit more than 1 year old by the time I upgrade. It's running fine and I replaced the pump an the lights just a few months ago. I bought a 18w 10,000k and an 18w 50/50 so the lights look white - not yellow/orange and it is 6w more of 10,000k than a new BioCube. The lights are smaller inches wise than the stock lights. The only down side to the tank is that it has a small scratch from rocks on the left side and it only goes about 1/4 of the way through the glass on the inside and isn't getting bigger or deeper. Honestly, you cannot notice the scratch unless somebody points it out to you. I discovered it by feeling it when scraping diatoms off the glass with a small algae scraping blade so I can't really see it unless I look really close and hard. I just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm going to upgrade so I can move some anemones from my 34g under better lights. Does anyone have any feedback for the 28g nano with 150w HQI? Pros? Cons? Also, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in the 14g. I'll be selling the tank, the stand, the heater, and the skimmer (new), for a good deal so LMK if you're interested and when I know if I'll be upgrading (which I most likely will be able to) I'll post prices.

If you are transferring from your 14 to this new tank, you will be adding more rock etc. I would give more than a week to cycle the new rock. I would setup the new tank as best you can with additional rock and let it cycle for a month. Then IF all is cycled/balanced, then migrate the rest of the tank over and then sell the 14g.

Gomer said:
If you are transferring from your 14 to this new tank, you will be adding more rock etc. I would give more than a week to cycle the new rock. I would setup the new tank as best you can with additional rock and let it cycle for a month. Then IF all is cycled/balanced, then migrate the rest of the tank over and then sell the 14g.

All I really have in my 14g right now is 4 corals, my baby bonded pair of clowns which I think are SI percs, and the Cherub angel. I found out that the Cherubs favorite snack is colt coral. Good thing I have 20 other frags of colt coral (I'm serious I can show you a picture!) that are in my 34g! :bigsmile:
I've worked out a plan on how I'm gonna spend all my cash. I'm going to buy new sand, new rocks, new water, and a new heater so that I can start fresh and clean! :)
I just have to figure out what to do with this giant, beautiful, 7", light-blue moonstone coral that's in my 14g. Maybe I might add it in as a gift if someone buys the entire 14g with all the equipment. BTW, should I put the rocks in my 14g up for sale? Would BAR members actually buy them? I'm HOPING TO GOD to sell the tank and all the equipment at the April meeting so that I can use the money to buy rocks, sand, and water for my 28g right away so I MAY JUST GIVE AWAY THE CORALS TO PEOPLE WHO PURCHASE MY 14G TANK, STAND, OR ACCESSORIES! Hint-hint! ;)

xcaret said:
The issue with the NC-HQI might be the heat during summer time so consider a chiller too

According to my calculations I'll have $20-$40 dollars left after I set up the 28g so I'll look for a cheap chiller. The NC-HQI that I'm ordering has
4 built-in cooling fans (talk about noisy!) and if the tank heats over what I set the temp as (probably 79) it automatically shuts the lights off. And just to brag, it has a wave maker that alternates currents between every 30 seconds to 6 minutes depending on how I set it! :p
Dose anyone know of any cheap chillers that I can fit into the 28g? I'll greatly appreciate a good suggestion that I might end up ordering! :D

Matthew chillers aren't cheap I hate to say :( However, I do have a JBJ (1/16 hp? 1/8hp? not sure) I bought off a reefer a few years back that you could have for free. I'm not sure if it works or not so I'll try to test it out this week.

Is the Biocube a Nanotuners biocube?

I wouldn't make a plan on how to spend the money from selling your tank just yet. Counting eggs before they hatch never seems to work out right :(

You should post a ballpark of what you want to get for the tank.

GreshamH said:
Matthew chillers aren't cheap I hate to say :( However, I do have a JBJ (1/16 hp? 1/8hp? not sure) I bought off a reefer a few years back that you could have for free. I'm not sure if it works or not so I'll try to test it out this week.

Is the Biocube a Nanotuners biocube?

I wouldn't make a plan on how to spend the money from selling your tank just yet. Counting eggs before they hatch never seems to work out right :(

You should post a ballpark of what you want to get for the tank.

Thanks for the offer! LMK if it works and maybe I could pick it up at the February meeting.
The tank I'm planning to sell is a regular BioCube with mods and upgrades. I took the BioBalls out but still have them on hand if someone needed them. I also got a new return pump along with some new, better lights. If I sell the tank I'll clean it out from corner to corner and I'll try to get it to where it'll look almost brand new. I know the prices that I'll sell stuff for and I hope somebody can buy it! Just to let everyone know, I'll be offering $10-$15 off if you buy everything together! I paid about $400 for all the equipment brand-new and some of the stuff that I have hasn't been used more than 2-3 times like the skimmer.

What you paid and what you can sell it for can be widely different I hate to say. Typically you can expect a @ least a 25% reduction just due to the fact you filled it. The ballast has been used since you bought it, it has a scratch, etc.

GreshamH said:
What you paid and what you can sell it for can be widely different I hate to say. Typically you can expect a @ least a 25% reduction just due to the fact you filled it. The ballast has been used since you bought it, it has a scratch, etc.

I'm just curious, but what would you say is a good price? I've never sold anything used before. I'm going to sell the tank and stand together, the heater and thermometer ($4 floating thermometer) will be together, and I'll be selling the skimmer and the rocks separately. What do you think I should price them at to make a fair sale? If someone buys everything together I'm going to give them the option of $10-$15 off OR a 7" light blue moonstone coral that I have no place for. :bigsmile:

Is this a selling your tank thread or an upgrade thread? You continue to edit your post so I have no idea at this point where to put it.

I would agree with Gresham once your equipment gets wet expect to take a decent loss on it. Some pieces of equipment seem to hold better then others but in this market if you get half what you paid for it I woul be happy.

This is more of an upgrading thread since I'm discussing information about the NC-HQI. I need at least half of what I bought it for because I need money to set up my 28g tank if I get it which I probably will. I'm going to be spending the money on necessities like sand, rocks, heater, and that stuff so it's not like I'm planning on buying an RBTA or something really expensive with the money or anything.

I think some of the hostilities you have experienced from the people on the forum comes from the fact that you want to do something and try to find a way (damn the advice you have been given here) to do it. I will remind you that our club was founded on the mission of promoting environmental protection of reefs and ethical treatment of animals.

I really hope for the sake of the future of the animals in your tank you will take your time this time around and LISTEN to the advice you get here. Reefkeeping is a learning experience and everyone is going to make mistakes as they go, what we try to achieve at BAR is to learn from these mistakes.

If you do listen it will be a win/win situation as you will not only save money in the long run, you will more importantly not continue to needlessly waste the animals that you put in your tank. Lots of people, myself included, will go out of our way to help people that are putting in a legitimate effort to do this by offering advice, corals, even equipment etc.. However, if you don't you will continue to get scolded and alienated by the members of our club as many take serious offense to this behavior.

I realize you are young and enthusiastic about wanting to get your tank a certain way, but nothing in this hobby that works well comes fast or easy. Decide what you want and plan for it, if it is beyond your means or that of your tanks capabilities, you need to seriously rethink it or you will once again be in the same boat.

You need to start small and work your way up as you are successful and realize that many of the fantastic tanks you see from people in our club come from years of experience and/or a significant financial outlay. I am 40 now and have been keeping saltwater animals since I was much younger then you and I still have a ton to learn.

seminolecpa said:
I think some of the hostilities you have experienced from the people on the forum comes from the fact that you want to do something and try to find a way (damn the advice you have been given here) to do it. I will remind you that our club was founded on the mission of promoting environmental protection of reefs and ethical treatment of animals.

I really hope for the sake of the future of the animals in your tank you will take your time this time around and LISTEN to the advice you get here. Reefkeeping is a learning experience and everyone is going to make mistakes as they go, what we try to achieve at BAR is to learn from these mistakes.

If you do listen it will be a win/win situation as you will not only save money in the long run, you will more importantly not continue to needlessly waste the animals that you put in your tank. Lots of people, myself included, will go out of our way to help people that are putting in a legitimate effort to do this by offering advice, corals, even equipment etc.. However, if you don't you will continue to get scolded and alienated by the members of our club as many take serious offense to this behavior.

I realize you are young and enthusiastic about wanting to get your tank a certain way, but nothing in this hobby that works well comes fast or easy. Decide what you want and plan for it, if it is beyond your means or that of your tanks capabilities, you need to seriously rethink it or you will once again be in the same boat.

You need to start small and work your way up as you are successful and realize that many of the fantastic tanks you see from people in our club come from years of experience and/or a significant financial outlay. I am 40 now and have been keeping saltwater animals since I was much younger then you and I still have a ton to learn.

I'm confused... Not trying to be rude, but I don't think I said anything in this thread about wanting to buy living stuff for the tank... :~

It was a comment in general to both this and many of your other threads. Since this is your "upgrade" thread, I felt it was most appropriate to put here. I think the overall message is pretty clear.

A lot of us want to see you succeed Matthew. I surely do. That is why despite my off posts to you, I still reach out and try to help :)

Matthew is regars to your post about what you should expect to get....

I just sold my 8 gallon AIO for 50.00 with a heater, I also sold a 20 gallon with 110 CF lighting, heater, HOB filter for 50.00

It took me months of posting this on CL and every forum I belong to to get those prices, most ppl offered 30.00 or less for them.

Just so you know what to expect

Roc brings up a good point. There are a lot of people selling off full blown reef tanks at tehe moment.

OK I may not get half of what I paid, but I will get more than $50 for it. I'm selling the tank, the stand, the heater, the skimmer (only used a few days), and I'll sell the rocks if anyone wants them. I know I may not get what I hope to get, but I'll get a reasonable amount for it. I'm getting unexpected money from relatives, so I may have just enough without selling the tank and I can use the money that I sell the tank for for modifications on the 28g and stuff.

I would recommend peppering RC, and craigslist if you are trying to sell. What I find is that most BAR people don't need full tank setups unless it is the perfect upgrade from what they have.

I just went to aquarium concepts and saw the new 29g BioCube with 150w MH-HQI! I like different features on both that one and the Nano Cube! The bio has glass covering the top with a 150w MH-HQI above it and the nano has it built into the hood. I think the bio wins on that, but the bio has half as much flow so the nano wins on that. The nano also have a built in wave maker and auto turn off for the lights if it gets too hot, but the bio comes with a free skimmer! ITS SO HARD TO CHOOSE! What do you guys think? :~

Back