Neptune Aquatics

UPGRADING! :D

I would suggest keeping the live rock you have, unless you have a specific reason for selling them. After all, they are cycled.

patchin said:
I would suggest keeping the live rock you have, unless you have a specific reason for selling them. After all, they are cycled.

I'd just like to start fresh again. I'll sell them if anyone wants them, but if nobody wants them then I guess I'll be forced to keep them... well I'll keep a few and throw the others in my yard... J)

Mr. Ugly said:
Sponges are good filtration for your tank :D

Some people even set up special systems using sponges for that.

You know how when you're aquascaping and rocks just go perfect together, right? Then there are those that just don't work. Those you try and do something with, but if you just absolutely can't then you get rid of them. When I set up my 34g I wasn't able to use half of the rocks, so I put them in buckets filled with salt water and I put them in my tank a few months later when I had a better rock structure and I loved them! So I'll try and use them all, but if I can't, then I'll store some for later! ;)

Chances are you'll end up using all of the rocks. I know I did recently when I went from a 10G over to a 32G. Ended up using all the rocks, plus a 15-20# rock with green sponges as a base. If you're gonna ditch all your current rock and go with new rock, expect that tank to go through some sort of cycle.

Save as much of the rock as you can (put it into a sump if there's one) and as well as the water.

Are you stuck on an all-in-one tank, i.e. the nanocube? Honestly, nanocubes are very difficult tanks, becuase of their limited water volume and lack of a sump.

I would try to buy a used system from someone here on this board, or Reef central instead. There are some really nice 30-40 gallon tanks being sold for about 25% of their original price. (FYI, I would not expect to recoup any more than about 25% of your system costs when you sell your used tank...I recently sold my tank and wound up with significantly less than I hoped and this was with many top of the line parts....I still have many things for sale, but its hard to sell reef stuff at this time because the market is flooded).

So...on that point, with so many tanks available, I'd figure out the space you have available and try to get a really nice 30-40G tank, stand, lights, skimmer, pump, corals, fish, etc...all in one. I bet there are some really, really nice tanks, fully cycled with all the goodies for less than you would pay for the nanocube 150HQI alone. And, I would venture that these tanks will, in the long run, be better for your inhabitants and your reefing education too....

Best of Luck,
-Kyle

kvosstra said:
Are you stuck on an all-in-one tank, i.e. the nanocube? Honestly, nanocubes are very difficult tanks, becuase of their limited water volume and lack of a sump.

I would try to buy a used system from someone here on this board, or Reef central instead. There are some really nice 30-40 gallon tanks being sold for about 25% of their original price. (FYI, I would not expect to recoup any more than about 25% of your system costs when you sell your used tank...I recently sold my tank and wound up with significantly less than I hoped and this was with many top of the line parts....I still have many things for sale, but its hard to sell reef stuff at this time because the market is flooded).

So...on that point, with so many tanks available, I'd figure out the space you have available and try to get a really nice 30-40G tank, stand, lights, skimmer, pump, corals, fish, etc...all in one. I bet there are some really, really nice tanks, fully cycled with all the goodies for less than you would pay for the nanocube 150HQI alone. And, I would venture that these tanks will, in the long run, be better for your inhabitants and your reefing education too....

Best of Luck,
-Kyle

I agree with Kyle if money is a concern.

The other nice thing about this approach is that you can upgrade components one as a time as your interest in the hobby and the depth of your pockets grow. 40 gallon breeders are a really nice size, imho.

I like my Nanocube, but yea, it has it's downsides, it gets hot because of the MH, I had to buy a chiller last summer, the stock skimmer sucks so I upgraded that and I upgraded the pump and even added a Vortech MP10 for more flow. I don't have issues with not having a sump or anything but this is my first tank so I don't know what a sump would be like :D

Back