Reef nutrition

Ushio 20+k

I have an Ushiro 20k DE 250w. Not sure if it is new or old. I got it from pacific garden supply a few months ago with my lunenarc fixture. It doesn't seem as blue as the radiums, like I was expecting. Actually quite pleased with the color. It seems without a true spectral analysis its entirely up to the manufacturer with what they label the bulb, eh?

Yeah kelvin ratings are BS if you ask me.

Both bulbs are still available, however, I've never used the 20k+, only the 20k. I like the 20ks, my only issue with them is that the blue spike is more violet and doesn't really push too much 450-460nm. From what I've been told Ushio redesigned their 20k specifically for reefs as the regular 20k was simply designed as a blue halide for aquariums, not to grow coral.

Regardless, I'll be doing some installs hopefully later this week and will let everyone know what my experiences are. I've always been a fan of Ushio bulbs, they are very even in color and last forever.

2X250w DE on a deep tank
2X250w SE on my tank
2X175w SE on a 135 mixed reef

Jeremy, I am very interested to learn about your experiences with the new Ushio bulbs. I currently have 250w DE 20k Ushios on my tank (beautiful color, although the coral growth isn't very fast), and would consider the 20k+ for my next order.

The tall tank that has the 250w DEs Ii will be swapping Ushio 20ks for 20k+ so that should be a good test, plus it is a very established mixed reef.

Sweet. Tagging along. Using Phoenix 14k SE bulbs. Wondering if Radiums or Ushio 20k+ next or not. Please take a photo if you have the chance. Thanks.

Awesome color so far, similar to an XM 20k, but a little less violet and a little more green, we'll see how they burn in. At this point I'm going to go out on a limb and say I really like them, it seems that all of the colors are even, reds are bright red, blues are deep and rich, and greens glow, the only color it doesn't seem to fluoresce is brown, they vanished.

A little OT, but can anyone guess how much faster growth between 10k bulb, 14k, and 20k? I know lots of different factors play a role too, but I'm wondering if I should put back my Reeflux 10k for a while for all my little frags.

Just a warning... switching kelvins like that is hard on the corals.

I don't think you'll get any real answer on that as far too much comes into play in regards to that. Maybe narrow it down to what bulbs exactly.

Especially lowering kelvin, corals sure protest and kick their good buddies to the curb. There, there poor zooxa, it's not your fault /pets zooxa gently/ :D

I can vouch for him... he sure is... as are I. Wonderful bulb... get it

GreshamH said:
...Wonderful bulb... get it

Awesome. Thank You. :bigsmile:

175w 20k+ Ushio Link http://www.ushio.com/files/specs/Aqualite.pdf

These look like the new ones (Aqualite) http://www.directaquarium.com/product-p/20010.htm ?

I'm getting ready to place a new MH order. I've been pleased with the Reef Lux 175w 20ks, but recall how much you like the Ushios - which is on my short; and I think my display needs a change. Just wondering if you're still a fan, as I'm also considering the XM 20k - thinking of trying both, but still open to suggestions / comments and group buys if any.

That Fish & Pet Place is having a 20% off sale on Ushio - Aqualite 20k which brought my 175w bulbs down to $48.79 plus $12 shipping / no tax in Ca if you order before Monday the 30th. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/245437/product.web. Promo code is TAKE20. I only bought 4 at this price until I see how much I like them over my current ReefLux.

The 20k is a blue bulb works OK for coral and FO tanks, the 20k+ was designed as an upgrade to the 20k and has a color spectrum more suited to growing and coloring up corals.

Back