Cali Kid Corals

Using Canon 420EX off camera

Is there a way to discharge the flash from a means other than having it mounted to the hotshoe on my Canon 40D? I have a Canon 420EX Speedlight.
I did see this online:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B8ZYPK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=09FFGZMQF45A66BWNW9M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I don't think I like the idea of being bound by a cord to the flash though ... and if I did use it, I'd have to hold my camera (and shoot) with one hand, while the other hand holds the flash. I could have the flash mounted onto a tripod, but I wouldn't be able to move too far with that cord attaching the flash to the camera.

Is there anything I can use that will wirelessly connect my camera to the flash that I can get that won't cost an arm and a leg?

I am very new to this entire strobist thing, if you want to call it that. I know having more flashes will yield more options, but flashes aren't cheap, and I am willing to use what I have (Canon 40D, and Canon 420EX) for the time being just to learn.
I'm wanting to be able to use it when taking portraits of people.

Thanks!

Off camera wireless, not too many options really...

Canon ST-E2:
http://tinyurl.com/8fjoqc

Or go pocket wizard.

Thanks Eric, that pocket wizard looks kinda cool :)

How do people normally use flashes when using a device like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B8ZYPK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=09FFGZMQF45A66BWNW9M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Do they normally just deal with being tethered to the a tripod?

Pocketwizards are pretty ubiquitous when it comes to master/slave triggers.

Easiest way to use that cord would be to use a bracket of some sort. Take a look at the RRS brackets for one. The other way is to shoot it tethered. You place the camera on the tripod, tether the flash to above the tank or hold it, and snap away.

The Pocket Wizard will work with any flash? I am leaning towards that ... the more wallet friendly option :)
I'll also need to pick up a tripod for the flash ... any suggestions on something strong enough to hold a flash? :D

Might look cheaper in the beginning, but remember you have to pick up 2 pocketwizards. One to send out the signal and the other to receive...

As for a tripod for the flash, doesn't it come w/the bottom plate (Nikon flashes have the legs)? Screw that plate into any tripod and you're set.

Doh, I totally forgot I have a tripod I can use with it :D
Two pocket wizards huh? I thought I would only need one to send, and the flash picks up the signal? Sorry I am a total noob at this.
I bought the 420EX used, and the guy lost the flash mount :( Any recommendation for a new one?
I also just read ... I can use Nikon SB-24's with my 40D so long as it isn't mounted to my camera :)

Yeah, two for the pocketwizards. It's not a flash, it works through IR (IIRC) so no flash is emitted from them. The 420EX can function as a slave, but you lose eTTL. Not sure where you would buy the legs for it; just about any legs would work since the flash mounts are pretty universal.

You can use a lot Nikon flashes and even the cords, but expect to shoot manually (manual exposure and metering).

I use elinchrom skyport triggers. Smaller and more affordable than pocketwizards, though the range is smaller. I only need to shoot from across-the-yard and they work fine for that. If you want to shoot from across-the-stadium you'll need pocket wizards.

There's some minor trick for which package you need to get if you're using non-elinchrom gear, but tis along these lines:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611247-REG/Elinchrom__EL_Skyport_Universal_Radio_Slave.html

So, I wanted to confirm (before I buy any remote triggering system), that the Canon 420EX CAN be used off camera right?

Cool ... I was thinking of just getting some Cactus V4's, just to test the waters and see if this is something I really want to continue :)
And I won't be triggering the flash from terribly far at all. Plus one off camera flash opens up that many more creative avenues right? :)

Back