Kessil

Using lenses... over kill?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
I finally managed to disassemble my old rear projection TV... It was really too big to cart off to one of those e-waste places, so I figured I'd disassemble the whole thing and take the guts to the e-waste... plus there were somethings I really wanted to keep/play around with.

First was a really large Fresnel lens, this basically is the screen, dirty little boy things came to mind of burning stuff with it... but that's not what this post is about.

2i70cwm.jpg

These old rear projections used 3 colored lamps (Red Blue Green) and did some magical trickery to make an image out of them... well they have these beefy lenses in them! Sure enough I could easily burn wood with the sunlight shining through the window (one of those dirty little boy things :D)... so I thought about the use of lenses that were mentioned with the LED order. Also recall quite a few of the "Japanese style" reefs using spotlight effects and actually using lenses on those bulbs so they can shine from far away, lighting only a tank and not the entire floor.

So out came my handy dandy 9 LED pocket flashlight, shined it on the wall 8 feet away, with the lights on, somewhat noticeable, it really is a fairly bright flashlight.
4q51yw.jpg

Then in front of the lens and WAMMO you basically can see each bulb projected on the wall.
2v1t2sm.jpg

So I got to thinking how useful would these really be, seems like if you could cram enough LEDs into a small enough space, those Royal Blues come to mind, this would make a fairly good blue spotlight. Although I don't know if this really would be overkill and you can do that with smaller lenses anyways.

So the verdict? Is it overkill? I do have 3 of these guys...so could play around with different colors too.

Also how close can you pack those 3 watt LEDs? Could you also further put lenses on them so they can be further away (and hence more of them) really making an interesting effect.

That's what I'm thinking about :D

Actually if I can finish up some around the house fix-it projects I think I'm going to start my next reefing project.

Project: Outside of the box.

More to come on this, later... probably MUCH later :D

But in general using these for spotlights means there can't be anything in between them and the water, so conventional hoods are out and might really have to go with nothing BUT spotlights, which could be quite beneficial for a top-down view. Either way I really have no sense of how large those little *star mounted LEDs are, and how many I can pack into an area as wide as the lens.

Back