Cali Kid Corals

Utter Chaos fighting to live

henergizer

Supporting Member
The frag was opened partially once since I got it about 2 weeks ago.

It’s shrunken a lot in size and has lost majority of its color and has stayed closed until now.

Does it still have a chance?

1d6e50dbf6d6c420783e7bcb8b30d9e8.jpg

Everything else I’ve gotten, green hammer, green frogspawn, florida ric, rastas, have been fully opened, just this one frag.

Tank temp is 77
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Sg 1.025

Will be getting an alkalinity test kit soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, my tank currently has no fish. Some spot feeding should get some nutrients in the system.

What are your guys’ preference for coral food?

I’m leaning towards reef roids or coral frenzy

If everything else is doing well, then this paly probably has a pest. Probably best to chuck it now before it infects other things. Or dip it and check for bugs.

If you have not been feeding anything and have no fish that is a big reason why they are closed. just feed any fish food

The only pest that I saw was a large pod crawl around the base as I was moving it around.

It is currently placed directly under an Asta 20 (Kessil knockoff) about a foot away. It was initially off to the sides a bit where it wasn't getting too much light.

Might have also been too much flow in the tank. I was running 2 mp10w's just for the hell of it. I have since removed one of the mp10s and ramp down to the first light on lagoon mode.

The only pest that I saw was a large pod crawl around the base as I was moving it around.

It is currently placed directly under an Asta 20 (Kessil knockoff) about a foot away. It was initially off to the sides a bit where it wasn't getting too much light.

Might have also been too much flow in the tank. I was running 2 mp10w's just for the hell of it. I have since removed one of the mp10s and ramp down to the first light on lagoon mode.
Check the stalks for lighter colored dots? Sometimes a transient pest or nodule of something will irritate a paly/zoa and cause it to close. If your other corals are ok it’s probably a local irritant. Easiest thing is to re-dip it and check for pests.
3f318faea5499f5bddbbd51545077dcf.jpg

@Chromis are these the light colored dots you’re talking about?

5dbd2751a489d05e9c91453e86de71a4.jpg

Decided to pull the frag and dip it in Revive
Yea - could be little paly pests or just something else irritating the paly. At least this way if you dip and it still doesn’t open in a couple days, you’ll have eliminated one possible cause :)

Wanted to thank everyone that helped me with my struggling utter chaos.

After about a week with two feedings of reef roids, they are making a strong come back!

d7b828cf09b3e082d90e89bf153c3212.jpg

That’s awesome! Yeah they are likely not changing back to the normal color, but wait for new heads to grow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back