UXDesigners RSM 250 w/ LEDs

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by uxdesigner, Mar 18, 2013.

1. uxdesigner

uxdesigner Guest

UXDesigners Red Sea Max 250

This is my second RSM 250 (sold my other one prior to relocating here) after trying out a 50 Starphire Cube of which I liked but I had issues with it being rimless. In my last RSM 250 build I retrofitted the lights with all LED's but I wanted to have some T5 supplementation this time around. In this build I decided to run a few less lights and keep 2 T5's, I'm running 2 ATI Blue+.

Specs:

Red Sea Max 250
    Rapid LED 32 LED DIY kit (inspired by Radion XR30w Pro) retrofit into stock location
    TLF 150 Reactor running NPX Bio-Plastics (Fits in left rear chamber with sponge removed)
    Replaced stock fans with SilentX fans
    • Channel 1 (Blues / 8am - 8pm) - 14 Royal Blue Cree XT-E
    • Channel 2 (Color Matrix / 10am - 6pm) - 3 Royal Blue Cree XT-E, 2 Blue Cree XP-E, 2 Red-Orange Cree XP-E, 2 Green Cree XP-E
      Channel 3 (White / 12pm - 4 pm) - 1 Warm White Cree XP-G, 4 Cool White Cree XM-L, 4 Cool White Cree XP-G

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Nice !

3. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Cool retrofit

4. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Nice!
    That is quite the combination of LEDs. A bit of everything.

So what does it look like from 10:00 to 12:00 with channels 1+2 on? Still mostly blue, or do other colors come through.

5. uxdesigner

uxdesigner Guest

Thanks! When channels 1 & 2 the tank has an interesting blend of all the colors. It's definitely blue but more of a purple / warm color than with just actinics. Reminds me of a sunset where there is orange/red mixed in with blue.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

What are the dimensions of that tank? That doesn't look like very many LEDs and I do see quite a few SPS pieces in the picture.

7. uxdesigner

uxdesigner Guest

Dimensions are (38L x 21W x 26H”) 65 Gallons. I'm running (32) 3 Watt Cree LEDs along with (2) 39Watt ATI Blue+ T5s. In my previous build I ran (48) 3 Watt LEDs but they were XP-E not XT-E and XM-L's that I'm running now. SPS are thriving, the XM-L's put out more than enough light as I cannot turn the whites all the way up. I'm also not running any optics for better spread and I burnt some coral when I had them on my previous build, lesson learned. Personally I think the blues and color LEDs are enough to sustain any SPS, I only run the whites for a couple hours for growth.

8. uxdesigner

uxdesigner Guest

Picked up 3 new showpieces (huge bali green slimer, 30 head frogspawn & teal tip acro), instant gratification frags anyone?

[​IMG]

9. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Great pickups! I'll take a teal tip acro frag please. ;)

10. euod

euod Supporting Member

Now, you just gotta get the rest of the sps to play catchup:)
    It will be interesting to see the growth from the hybrid light system.
    The tank looks bigger than a 65 gal with that add-ons, too.

11. tankguy

tankguy Vice President