Jestersix

Vacation feeding "pyramid" ... what effects does it have on chemistry?

I just received my (somewhat expensive) Aqua Medic water test kit and I'm anxious to send in a water sample .. HOWEVER, over the holidays I went to Canada, and left my tank on "auto" mode, and this inlcuded four "14 day dissolving feeder blocks".

I'm not sure what they are imbedded in, or if it makes any difference. I should have paid more attention.
From Drs. FostersSmith ...

Ingredients: Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Middlings, Wheat Flour, Pea Protein, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Canola Oil, Spirulina Algae, DL-Methionine, Garlic, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascrorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Inositol, Mineral Oil, preserved with Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT, and BHA.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
1.50% min
Crude Fat* 0.060% min
Crude Fiber 3.00% max
Moisture 18.00% max
Calcium 19.00% min
Calcium 21.00% max

I didn't notice the "Copper Sulfate" before!
I'm guessing "Dicalcium Phosphate" is some part of the white block thing. Maybe it's the wheat flour too.

Anyway, I'm wondering how much of an effect this will have on the water analysis.

But I didn't want to do a full water change either because then it is not indicative of the contents of the tank water TYPICALLY. However, to get a good analyis, I'm thinking maybe I'll be forced into a large water change and wait three weeks?

Or do you think the food pyramids is a negligible factor? In any case I'll probably not use them anymore and rely only on my two auto-feeders, since they seem to be able to last several weeks.

What do you think?

How big was the block that you used? Did it all dissolve away? How big is the tank again?

Did you do a nitrate and or phosphate test before and after you got back?

The copper sulfate shouldn't be a factor since it's actually found in a number of fish food (take a look at NLS pellets if you have some).

In any case I'll probably not use them anymore and rely only on my two auto-feeders, since they seem to be able to last several weeks.

What do you think?
I think you're onto something here!
Don't overthink this and just go ahead and send in the water sample and see what it says. Do your overdue. If water change, and answer me this...
What do you/did you think was eating those things?

Feeder block was the one from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API), 14 day pyramids. Says for salt or fresh water. 4 were used over in a span of 3 weeks.

Tank is 180 gallons.

V

Back