Cali Kid Corals

Vacation tank feeding options ?

Hello,
I am going on vacation for a week and a half on Oct 7. I'm looking into options for auto feeders for my tank. Not all my fish will eat off the surface of the water and I just got a black cap basslet that eats meaty food only. I was planning to drill an old cooler, keep some frozen/dry food in big water bottles connected to a dosing pump for an auto feeder, maybe put the auto feeder in the cooler so that the dry food doesn't turn into mush. As you can tell this is my first time away from my tank. My ideas are scattered with no official blue prints. What are things you guys have done or seen that can work? I am trying to explore my options... Is there anything else I should worry about or take care of before I go?

Thanks,
Gil =)

In fish my tank;
Ocellaris pair
Bi-color angel
Zebra dart
Yellow watchman
black cap basslet
Green manderin

Coral ;
Brown acropora
Purple stylophora
Monti's
Fungia
And a whole bunch of zoas

Will my corals be ok if I feed the whole tank? I usually target feed...

My opinion (I go on vacation a lot, but am not an expert reefer), is to just do simple automatic dry feeding.
The fish/coral will not starve, and anything complex is more likely to fail, and thus cause huge
problems that you will not be there to fix.

I like the individual bucket feeders, since you can put flakes, granules,
and even fine coral food in them, and have it drop 2-3 times per day.
Unfortunately, hard to find in the US.

Your corals are fine since none are nps they dont really need to be fed except by light. As for your fish I suggest getting an auto feeder for dry food. In my experiences if a fish is hungry enough he will find food. Plus you are only really gone for four days isn't that right Gil hahaha

Go with an auto feeder and get someone to come in and feed frozen every couple days while you're gone. Ten days is a longer hunger strike than you really want to subject your basslet to - and not all fish "will just eat pellets if they get hungry enough," especially not newly added fish.

Get an eheim auto feeder. Put only pellets of the same size in it. Corals should be fine. I also recommend that you have someone view the tank while you are away. Hopefully they will notice if anything has fallen over and top off system due to evaporation. And yes to what Jess said above.

@ bigmikey - You forgot I got CBP testing in Sunny San DiAgo right after New York, or in Anchorman terms a" whale's va..." Lol

I stay in Pacifica. I will l try the eheim auto feeder suggestion. I will most likely have my brother check water and do a feed every 3 days... Still might want to try that doser pump feeder as a back up.... Let you guys know, I might make a thread about it. Thanks guys! :beer:

I'm on the other side of the slide from you, so if there's a real emergency have your bro contact me, or you can if youse guys are in contact.

Back