Vacation Tank Watch buddy System?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Paradox, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Paradox

Paradox Guest

With all of the problems and scares people have with vacations, would it be a good idea to try and organize a system in which people can volunteer to be an emergency contact for tanks left on vacation. People that live in the same general area can can be "Tank Buddies" which will include meeting each other and showing each other thier tanks. This does not necessarily mean you will leave them a key to your house while your gone, but they can be an emergency contact for your house sitter to call upon if an emergency arises.

Im not necessarily going on vacation soon, but have always thought a system like this may be helpful and have seen similar needs in other BAR members.

What do you think?

2. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

I like this idea a lot. It would make going on Vacation easier for me with the knowledge that a well seasoned reefer would be looking in on my tank. i think each area of the Bay Area should have it's own goto list of people who can help.

3. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Me too. Now if only I could find some Pennisula people who were willing to do it.

4. Paradox

Paradox Guest

If theres enough interest, perhaps we should start a list by posting what area you live in.

5. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Great idea Paradox.

I'm in SF and would be happy to be a contact.

6. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

I am in Fremont and would also be happy to be a contact in the east bay.

7. zepplock

zepplock Guest

I'm in South Bay area.

8. Paradox

Paradox Guest

Ill be in Boston for work for a few days, but keep posting and Ill make a list when I get back!

9. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I can help with that, I'm on the coast, as well as San Mateo County, and I have a truckload of gear.

10. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

As long as it doesn't conflict too much I'm good for most the Northern peninsula down to maybe San Mateo or so, in fact driving to Burlingame sometimes is more pleasing than going to parts of San Francisco :D

For me though it's a matter of trust, there are those in SF that I would trust with a key to my place that I know of, but how many others have been in the club that long that they're willing to trust? And the only reason I say that is because I doubt many family members will know what an emergency really is with our tanks. I mean I left my pops emergency directions, which were basically if there was a power outage and the pumps didn't restart, noticeable by the lack of water in the overflow, which I put tape and wrote instructions everywhere in addition to a sheet, unplug the plug marked pump, unplug the one marked heater, put heater into main tank, plug heater back in. Didn't want to make it too complicated. Luckily for me the storms everyone had missed my power usage. (although pop did miss the whole dosing of 2 part bit.. *sigh*)

11. Thales

Thales Past President

Good idea. Shall I make a "Vacation Watch" board with child boards for different regions? What regions? :D

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Sub-committee?

13. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Hey Mike,

I don't see why you couldn't have had pops chaperon one of us while looking in on corals. Then no key is required.

That's what is great about this idea. No one says you have to give me a key to your house. You figure out what your level of comfort is and work it out. Surely you can come up with something easier than automating your tank! :D

C

14. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Charles, well it's not so much the chaperon, I asked him to come over every 2-3 days when it was good for him in the day and didn't really want to put him on any time table. But I get your point, having someone come over to look at the tank would be good, although with my dad (like most dads) I'd be afraid they'd look a little to closely and then try to mimic what they saw them do because "it didn't look that hard" :D

15. Paradox

Paradox Guest

OK, sorry it took me a while to post back on here.

I made a quick list of people that have shown interest in this program. If you are interested and not on the list, copy and paste this and add your name to your post, so there will always be a current list.

Paradox - San Francisco
    cwolfus - San Francisco
    seminolecpa - Peninsula
    sfsuphysics - Northern peninsula to San Mateo
    LordHelmet - Fremont/East Bay
    Zepplock - SouthBay
    tuberider - Coastline as well as San Mateo County

Everyone will be responsible for contacting a local person to check on their availability if you are taking a vacation. They will also be responsible for meeting up and showing each other their tanks and their requirements. I would advise everyone that plans on going on vacation to also write up a very detailed description on the tank and its needs as a reference for the tank watcher.

Thales-A vacation watch board would be great if its not too much trouble to make one!

16. seminolecpa

I concur with Mike's feeling of trust comment. That is going to be the biggest obstacle to this I think. Though even if we could at a minimum get a list of knowledgeable and reliable people for our significant other, father or other tank sitter to contact if they have questions or issues it would be a big help.

17. Paradox

Paradox Guest

Mainly, i was thinking that there will be a normal house sitter or relative and the tank Buddy can come in at a time coordinated with them, so no key is required to be given out. The level of trust is up to the people involved of course.

If it were my system, and I was to be on vacation , I would have a friend come by every day or two and have him take care of general duties such as feeding. I would then have him coordinate a time in which the tank buddy can come by and just check things out to ensure everything is ok. They would also be on call if there was an obvious emergency.

For the most part our tanks should be as automated as possible. I would trust my tank to last a week or more without human contact, but I would be at ease more on vacation if I knew someone was going to check up on it every few days.

18. Apon

Apon Volunteer

I have watched people's tank and house before- but I would only volunteer if I felt comfortable/knowledgable with the person's setup/animals. I almost watched Charles tank when he went to JP.

Brian if you needed someone, I can stop by after work if i can find your house in the dark again.

19. seminolecpa

Arnold. I would be afraid I would come home and my tank would be full of clams.

20. Apon

Apon Volunteer

And how would that be a bad thing?