Jestersix

VaporMD's Tank Move

Last July, when I decided to move, I didn't really have an idea that it would take 9 months for me to get my new tank up and running, but I'm finally there! So I thought I'd share a few photos of the new setup.

The last FTS I could find in my photo archives, about 6 months before I moved:
814299226_9hYA3-L.jpg

Because the house I was moving to wasn't really ready for my current tank and because I needed to sell my old house quickly and get the tank out, I decided to setup a temporary system in my parent's garage (they were kind enough to humor me :)) while I established the new tank. My temporary setup consisted of two 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks linked together, with the corals in one tank and the fish in the other so I wouldn't have to try and light both tanks:

814299305_v3cgA-L.jpg

814299379_wmFjQ-L.jpg

I was planning on keeping the temporary system for only 2 months tops while I was setting up the new house. Unfortunately life got the way and 2 months turned in to 9 months, and while everything did well for about the first 2-3 months, I started losing most of my SPS after about 2 months. Not too surprisingly, all my LPS, chalics, etc, did great with the move.

Moving forward, here are a few shots of the new setup:

Sand and aquascaping:
814299136_waxho-L.jpg

The surviving corals moved in:
814299169_wbpS8-XL.jpg

Overview shot. The light rack rides on rails that allow me to slide it back and forth over the top of the tank, and also has an linear actuator, cable & pulley system to lower and raise the lights electronically:
816242012_44xPg-XL.jpg

816242029_EtKCv-L.jpg

Back of the tank. I'm using a double standpipe setup where the primary standpipe runs at full suction and the secondary standpipe runs a barely a trickle, essentially, there's no noise from the overflow :)
816242066_Xneh9-L.jpg

Sump, I decided to go with the Vertex Alpha Kone 250 - and I love the skimmer. Super quiet, and super stable foam head - there's no turbulence in the body and the foam head doesn't even collapse with feedings!
816242098_nNFPD-L.jpg

Thanks Mark - there are 6 fans tucked in between the mini lumenarc's. Had to space out the three reflectors to cover the tank, and the fans filled the gap nicely.

Very nice and Very clean :) The next time I am heading to the bay, I'll make sure to see if you are available. What blue bottles are you dosing these days?

Good to see you back! Sorry to hear about the SPS, but hey they're overrated anyways right? :D

Looks good what you did with the aquascaping too, at least half of your tank isn't frag racks anymore ;)

What is that large white pipe above the tank? Ventilation?

Thanks guys!

Mark - just the basic 4 for now, I have aminos, etc but not dosing those for now.

Lap - the hammer coral/rock you got from me still doing ok?

Mike - yeah, I'm definitely not missing the frag rack look. Not planning to accumulate as many frags this time around - but then again I've said that before :) The white pipe is indeed for ventilation - hooked up to an external fan

the hammer are doing great,probably need more space in the future for them to grow more.same here i stop collecting frags ,now i just let my corals grow and maintaining the equipments is full choirs on the weekend itself.:)

lapsan

Mark - I have a bottle of the sponge power, among other additives (zym is a good one, esp for cyano), waiting on the sidelines as well. Always have dosed AA's in the past and felt like it improved coloration and PE.

Lap - glad to hear the hammer is doing well - I never did find my harlequin though!

Perry, Tank looks great! I love the aquascape and the clean lines! Corals grow, but its a bummer to wait for them - If you lack the patience, I have some for sale.

-Kyle

vapormd said:
Mark - I have a bottle of the sponge power, among other additives (zym is a good one, esp for cyano), waiting on the sidelines as well. Always have dosed AA's in the past and felt like it improved coloration and PE.

I've been usin zeozyme off and on for close to a year. I was mixing it with coral snow back in the day, but I just never ordered any more cs. I'm still fighting the dinos/diatoms that happen for some from carbon dosing so I'm still taking the ZEO very slowly.

Back