Our mission

Vento 90Gal build from new

Hi all,

Well I jumped in head first into reefing. SW is just so much more interesting than FW was. I'm pretty new to all this so please bare with me. Suggestions are always welcome.

But here is my equipment specs:
Oceanic Tech series 90Gal tank and stand.
Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Fixture, 4X65 Watt, 48 inch
35gal Acrylic sump
(2) Hydro Koralia 4 powerhead
Rio hyperflow 20HF return pump.
Visi-therm stealth heater 200W

And some pics. Comments on the aquascaping please.
PC040229.jpg

PC040234.jpg

Well if that is the same tank I have seen before it is L 48.5 x W 18.5 x H 25, if this is the same tank you might want to consider a lighting upgrade as Compact Fluorescent 4X65 Watt won't allow you to grow much in terms of corals. I assume your tank is RR (reef ready) as you stated you had a sump (I couldn't really tell from the pics) which is a good thing.

Most important lession I learned was Only bad things happen fast in this hobby, so take your time and do lots and lots of reading

Let us know what you're planning to keep? LPS, SPS, Softies, Some Mix... Looks like you have about a 35 times turnover rate on your flow right now. You can do much with that. If you plan on doing SPS you may consider a third Hydor 4 to get you up around 50 times turnover and give you some more assistance in suspending ditritus. Looks like you need to be on a hunt for a skimmer as well. Just keep asking questions. You should get some good feedback here on BAR.

I know my lighting doesn't support SPS. I was thinking of just keeping Soft and maybe LPS.

As far as my protein skimmer goes I had one that just wouldn't skim, I ended up returning it and am getting a new one soon.

Should I get something like a wave maker to get different flows through the tank?

I was actually thinking of getting an Aquacontroller Jr. for lighting and flow control.

Well your Hydors aren't really made to go with a wavemaker, IMO. But if you position your PH's well you should get some good clashes and turbulent flow; again... why a third Hydor 4 could come in handy.

Thanks for the info.

So I been been noticing a build up of stuff the back of the tank where i'm not getting as much flow. So if i get another PH should it be pointed towards the back to get some flow through the back end and more into the rockwork.

If i upgrade my lighting to MH won't I need a chiller due to the increased heat from the lights?

A tough question.... I have 4 Hydor 4's for my 120 plus a Tunze 6100 and the only way to figure it out is to mess around with it trying different locations. Every tank will vary depending upon rock location, depth of sand, depth of PH, location of PH and direction of PH. Look at it as a challenge and play around with it until you have some movement througout your tank. Now, with your tank empty of livestock is a great time to do this. You may also decide to tweak your aquascaping to help get ideal flow through your tank.

[quote author=Vento link=topic=5690.msg71291#msg71291 date=1230084028]
BTW is this a Majano anemone?
PC170243.jpg

[/quote]

I read on a website (Karen's Roses) that majano anemones actually are not that bad. It says they come in different colors and are pretty and do not pose a huge threat. I know they can sting corals, but besides that are they that harmful? Karen (the owner
of that website/advanced aquarist) said she loved her's but when she moved it died. Why are they so bad? ???

They are considered a pest because they invest everything, and 90% of the time when ppl think they are killing them they are actually making tons more. I read an article a long time ago about using them in a fuge to help with water quality, but noever really investagated past that as I try to kill em as fast as I find em.

I've only had them once before and they were not that bad. One turned into 3 over the course of about 6 months. They had a nice color. Had a friend that wanted them... Gave him the rock they were on. Never saw them in my tank again.

Back