Venue alternatives

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by denzil, Sep 8, 2014.

1. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Considering that Chabot College is charging us ~$300 per event these days, let's look into some healthy alternatives that could help us save money.

Here are some preliminary suggestions and will be updated as suggestions are made. The decision doesn't have to be made now but preferably sooner than later so we spend less money.
    • LFS (Diablo Corals, Aquatic Collection, Neptune Aquatics)
    • Small communal halls

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. denzil

denzil Webmaster

I personally really like the idea of LFS's since we're bringing foot traffic right to their door and folks can get there early to check out the LFS' before and after the event. This can be part of the way we give back to our sponsors and we can handle most if not all of the logistics of running our events at their respective locations.

neuro likes this.
  3. neuro

neuro Webmaster

we can also look into community centers or rec centers

denzil likes this.
  4. denzil

denzil Webmaster

I'm not all too familiar but do they typically include tables and chairs? I think some do and some don't.

5. neuro

neuro Webmaster

not sure, just a thought!

6. mray2660

mray2660 Treasurer

For some meetings we could use the local libraries. We had meeting just recently at Fremont main library. Just table and chairs

Mike

7. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

There's a possibility of meeting at the Cedar Boulevard Neighborhood Church in Newark. Should we open this up to the open forum for opinions?

8. mray2660

mray2660 Treasurer

FYI the club does own a projector and sound system so we are mobile to any location. We have gotten very spoiled with what we have at the college. Steve is it possible we where put chabot on our website as "sponsor" and have minimum fee for the entire year?

Just a thought

9. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

I think many of the discussions here like member benefits and meeting locations could be opened up to the members for input before making decisions that ultimately might not align with what the members actually want.

neuro likes this.
  10. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Yeah, we can open it up to hear what they want but just keep in mind that people come and go and there are many that have an opinion but sometimes don't have any merit. We definitely won't be able to make everyone happy but we'll certainly try to satisfy as many as we can. In order to achieve that, sometimes we, the BOD and/or the President, will just have to start making executive decisions in the best interests of the club and its future.

11. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Moving this to general membership to solicit more ideas.

12. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

How about simply a smaller room at Chabot?
    When I first joined, we used a much smaller space.
    Other than big events, we don't come close to filling that room.

A LFS is an interesting idea, but most seem jammed with tanks, so no meeting space.

Another thought is to ask around at small local museums. Especially those aquatic/baylands related.

denzil likes this.
  13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

LFS is a good idea, however make sure 1) they're ok with it and 2) make sure other LFS sponsors are ok with it. I've never been to Diablo or Neptune (too far out of my driving range to go to a LFS), and Aquatic Collection has been an after meeting swing by but they don't exactly look like they have much room there to handle many people at all (fine for meetings with 6 people :D).

Also there's the comment of "tables and chairs" would a LFS have that? I know Jess has had events there in the past, and there's been table and chairs but have they been rented? Or did he have that many available.

As far as that, I really don't have any suggestions about a place simply because I'm not familiar with the east bay, the club is probably too big to do this in someone's garage/basement/backyard (liability issues too), although I still think it should be centralized for the region (the Bay Area, not Sacramento :D). And you're right, you might have to make a hard choice that some people won't like, but "for the good of the club"... the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that other Star Trek stuff :)

Also one idea is to have at different venues based upon estimated numbers. For instance something like a frag swap, BAP (if you do that again), etc, might be worth spending money at Chabot just because that can handle the people. Something like that make your own food workshop had much less people (although it was still super fun!) but wouldn't require as large an area.

denzil likes this.
  14. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

The two other clubs I'm in, SFBAAPS and Wine Country Reefers, meet at people's houses, parks, Round Table Pizza and LFSs. In the case of SFBAAPS, we meet all over the bay area. This can be a bit confusing but it works out. Gives everyone a chance for 'home court advantage'. :)

I do think meets with speakers are best at a location like Chabot. After all they are really set up for teaching!

15. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Yeah, being more efficient with space/capacity planning would be ideal. I think we can potentially make some progress there.
    We'd figure out the logistics with the LFS sponsors as far as chairs, tables, etc. Since a lot of neighboring businesses near our LFS sponsors are generally closed for the weekends, it's definitely feasible to hold events at LFS' with proper planning and approval from parties involved.
    Yeah, I had actually been thinking about a round-robin way of event hosting that way at some point in the year all Bay Area folks will have an opportunity to have a 'home' event that doesn't require as much driving.

Keep the ideas coming, everyone! :D

16. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    bondolo, neuro and denzil like this.
  17. euod

euod Supporting Member

I would definitely renew my membership for Sixteen Mile House:)

gimmito likes this.
  18. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Wife just mentioned to me that she saw that the Peninsula Human Society has a multipurpose room that holds up to 95, and smaller conference rooms for 15, that you can get for free. You give them 5 minutes of time at the beginning so they can give you their mission statement, etc, and they say donations are welcomed. But it's an option.

Geneva, denzil, neuro and 1 other person like this.
  19. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Great option! Five minutes of our time isn't asking a lot and I'm sure we can all agree that we support their efforts in saving animals. :)