Vermatid snails?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Gablami, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I've got a few of these things growing, usually around corals. This is a photo of a bird of paradise, these tubes grew out from around the fragged edges. At first I thought they were just how the coral was healing itself. But now I'm wondering whether they are vermatid snails. I don't see any snail like shell at the base, however. Just wanted to confirm before I start crushing the base of the tubes. I've never seen any mucous or anything coming out of the tubes.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Looks like vermatids.

3. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Snails? They stay in the tubes? I thought vermatids were something else. Gotta look that up!

4. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Kill it immediately

5. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I take them off with a pair of small frag cutters. Pops right off.

Gablami likes this.
  6. Gablami

So I can't just cut the base of the tube, I gotta find some sort of snail under it all? All I see are tubes...

7. RandyC

RandyC Guest

Mine usually look like a pile of poo. Roundish mound with a tube sticking out of it. I pop it off right under the mound. If you just pop the tube off, snail can/will just continue to grow.

8. Gablami

Thanks I'll try that. Hope I don't dislodge my corals. Time to go snail killing!

9. Kensington Reefer

kill, die, bad!!

10. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Really that bad? I'm sure I've had them before and they did nothing (in my old tank, where stuff actually grew).

V

11. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

The webbing that they throw out causes lesions and recessions. There's one in the tank that I have to get rid of soon after having clipped and dipped the rock.

This is what the inside of one looks like if you've ever clipped them before.
    [​IMG]

This is the loner that I have to deal with next time I do the water change. Didn't clip this guy. Tough guy that survived a 30 minute RO dip (the hitchhiking coral on the right didn't make it). You can zoom in on the vermetid to see the web that he casted.
    [​IMG]

12. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I've seen them and thought they were cool. Didn't know about the mucus causing problems though!

V

13. Kensington Reefer

14. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

These all came from one. Now I've been very cautious with the new tank. Now that I know what to look for. IMG_4058.JPG

Coral reefer likes this.
  15. Gablami

What??? I'm on a mission now

16. RandyC

RandyC Guest

Web fairies please add a "burn that @*!&$-' tank now" button next to the like button.

17. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

So many things to look out for lol. I stalk my tank crevices every night looking for new developments.

Ranjib Dey and Coral reefer like this.
  18. Gablami

I used a tonsil clamp and went after these guys this evening. I basically crushed their poop-like shells beneath the tubes, and it crunched and disintegrated into a cloud of mucous and shell and other crap. I only fully removed a few. Wondering if this was like others experience. It seemed impossible to remove some of them without crushing them into oblivion.

19. RandyC

RandyC Guest

My tool of of choice. Gets under the shell and slides under it as you cut. Pops off easily for me usually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-sps-coral-bone-cutter.html

20. Gablami

Yeah I've got that tool, came with a frag kit I got for secret Santa :). The snails were around my corals though so it was kinda risky. I think crushing them still kills them though.