Our mission

Vermatid snails?

I've got a few of these things growing, usually around corals. This is a photo of a bird of paradise, these tubes grew out from around the fragged edges. At first I thought they were just how the coral was healing itself. But now I'm wondering whether they are vermatid snails. I don't see any snail like shell at the base, however. Just wanted to confirm before I start crushing the base of the tubes. I've never seen any mucous or anything coming out of the tubes.

391e9aebc42a87af49c5323c2c428188.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I can't just cut the base of the tube, I gotta find some sort of snail under it all? All I see are tubes...

So I can't just cut the base of the tube, I gotta find some sort of snail under it all? All I see are tubes...

Mine usually look like a pile of poo. Roundish mound with a tube sticking out of it. I pop it off right under the mound. If you just pop the tube off, snail can/will just continue to grow.

The webbing that they throw out causes lesions and recessions. There's one in the tank that I have to get rid of soon after having clipped and dipped the rock.

This is what the inside of one looks like if you've ever clipped them before.
vermetid_aftersoak_013117.jpg

This is the loner that I have to deal with next time I do the water change. Didn't clip this guy. Tough guy that survived a 30 minute RO dip (the hitchhiking coral on the right didn't make it). You can zoom in on the vermetid to see the web that he casted.
vermetid_alive_large_020117.jpg

I used a tonsil clamp and went after these guys this evening. I basically crushed their poop-like shells beneath the tubes, and it crunched and disintegrated into a cloud of mucous and shell and other crap. I only fully removed a few. Wondering if this was like others experience. It seemed impossible to remove some of them without crushing them into oblivion.

I used a tonsil clamp and went after these guys this evening. I basically crushed their poop-like shells beneath the tubes, and it crunched and disintegrated into a cloud of mucous and shell and other crap. I only fully removed a few. Wondering if this was like others experience. It seemed impossible to remove some of them without crushing them into oblivion.

My tool of of choice. Gets under the shell and slides under it as you cut. Pops off easily for me usually.

867545a8c1034c34fc86118ab1cf4ad2.jpg

74c0b34f1744d637c92af8d23d944806.jpg

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-sps-coral-bone-cutter.html

Yeah I've got that tool, came with a frag kit I got for secret Santa :). The snails were around my corals though so it was kinda risky. I think crushing them still kills them though.

Back