Vermetid snails & friends

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by kessilman, Mar 26, 2011.

1. kessilman

kessilman Sponsor

I've noticed 2 Vermited snails casting nets in my 12g nano. It seems that people usualy get rid of them. One is on the sand bed and the other is in the middle of a colony that now only opens about half way. Keep or terminate? :~
    [​IMG]

Also have what I think is a bristle worm weaving through my rock pictured below. Any advice on wether or not to keep him?
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. GDawson

GDawson Guest

The snails are a pest im my tank and I terminate. The worm I would keep until it proves harmful to corals. As a rule they are mostly detritus/waste eaters in my experience. YMMV

I'm sure others will chime in with opinions.......

-Gregory

3. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

I've always kept them, unless you have a really hard time looking at those (unsightly, I admit) mucus nets the vermetids cast.

4. kessilman

kessilman Sponsor

Thanks for the quick replies.

Looks like the jury is out. Should i at least remove the one in the middle of the colony, or will it be fine?

5. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Easy enough to get rid of vermetids, so if it bothers you, I see no detriment in getting rid one or all of them.

6. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

I have a few in my tank.
    They seem to be fine but if I had one that was bugging a nice coral I would remove it.

7. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

I have a breeding population of vermitid snail in my tank and I have had no problems.

8. GDawson

GDawson Guest

If it's not bugging the coral/polyp leave it. I remove them because they cast those mucus nets over my LPS and inhibit PE.

-Gregory

9. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

hate them bastards, but for different reasons, I punctured myself twice while cleaning the tank too close to the wall.. both getting a nasty infection, the first time I almost let it go too far, second time I went to the docs when it happened.

10. Tamazula

Tamazula Guest

Kill them with something hard and metal... have to crush the base of their shell. They can and will slice you open.

11. 177ike

177ike Guest

I had an explosion in my 90, but they have seemed to subside after manual removal over a month or so. I'd say to keep your detritus buildup in check and you should be fine.