Cali Kid Corals

Vermetid snails & friends

I've noticed 2 Vermited snails casting nets in my 12g nano. It seems that people usualy get rid of them. One is on the sand bed and the other is in the middle of a colony that now only opens about half way. Keep or terminate? :~
IMG_0594.jpg

Also have what I think is a bristle worm weaving through my rock pictured below. Any advice on wether or not to keep him?
IMG_0603.jpg

Thanks in advance!

The snails are a pest im my tank and I terminate. The worm I would keep until it proves harmful to corals. As a rule they are mostly detritus/waste eaters in my experience. YMMV

I'm sure others will chime in with opinions.......

-Gregory

I've always kept them, unless you have a really hard time looking at those (unsightly, I admit) mucus nets the vermetids cast.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Looks like the jury is out. Should i at least remove the one in the middle of the colony, or will it be fine?

kessilman said:

Looks like the jury is out. Should i at least remove the one in the middle of the colony, or will it be fine?

Easy enough to get rid of vermetids, so if it bothers you, I see no detriment in getting rid one or all of them.

I have a few in my tank.
They seem to be fine but if I had one that was bugging a nice coral I would remove it.

kessilman said:

If it's not bugging the coral/polyp leave it. I remove them because they cast those mucus nets over my LPS and inhibit PE.

-Gregory

hate them bastards, but for different reasons, I punctured myself twice while cleaning the tank too close to the wall.. both getting a nasty infection, the first time I almost let it go too far, second time I went to the docs when it happened.

I had an explosion in my 90, but they have seemed to subside after manual removal over a month or so. I'd say to keep your detritus buildup in check and you should be fine.

Back