Neptune Aquatics

Vermetid Snails

99sf

Two vermetid snails have taken up residence on the upper part of my maxima clam's shell. What is the best way to terminate these snails without harming the clam? I found an interesting article about these invertebrates by Dr. Shimek:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php
According to Dr. Shimek, the prevalance of vermetid snails in my nano tank must be an example of a small, but highly successful, component of reef biodiversity.

Smashing them works best. Whatever is hard enough , just don't assume that you've got them if you knock off the tube portion of their shell... they already retracted into the coiled section when they saw you coming.

These vermetid snails enteredy my tank on my maxima clam. I transferred the clam from my old biocube into my 90 gallon. I thought they were harmless tube worms and good for my tank. They have now taken over my tank. They grow onto SPS, etc where the SPS flesh will actually grow over them. My corals aren't really bothered by them, but I wish they never entered my system.. They just look ugly to me.

My advice would be to destroy them before they start to rapidly multiply.

The only sucky thing about them is when they are growing under a rock as you are pulling the rock out. I've cut my fingers on these lil annoying devils

anathema said:
I like them, the more detrivores the better IMO. :)

Ow! My finger!

They will irratate corals and clams to the point of death is allowed to. Their mucus web can get massive.

Pliers...great idea. I will try needle-nose pliers on the two vermetid snails that have taken up residence on my clam's shell.

I use dental tools and stick it into the body and twist. Easy and it really opens them up for the wrasses to get into there :D

GreshamH said:
I use dental tools and stick it into the body and twist. Easy and it really opens them up for the wrasses to get into there :D
Some of my more established vermetid snails have developed a cool spiral shell. I do know a dentist who might give me an old tool. Which one do you use to open the shell? Too bad my tank is too small for wrasses.

I use one of the curve tip ones that is thicker. I push the tip in until it stops, then twist. sometimes I have to do it twice. Sometimes the entire shell lifts off.

I have a Melenarus wrasse that won't touch them without opening the snails up myself. I also have a large emerald crab that doesn't touch them either. I use long metal tweezers to pick them off. However, now that my SPS have some size to them, it becomes difficult to maneuver under the colonies to get at the Vermetids without breaking pieces off..

I don't know of many wrasses that we keep that would do it on its own. Everyone here has stated they open them up before fish eat them ;)

A Napoleon wrasse would do wonders on them, but they tend to get larger then most members tanks total volume :lol:

Right, Napoleon is not an option..

Is there any way to get rid of them completely aside from tearing my tank apart and starting all over again? (not that that is going to happen). They seem to love the shadey caves, which are the hardest parts to get at..

Nope, none that I am aware of. What would kill them off would kill a lot of other stuff off. Maybe Lesly Harris has an idea on this, I'll poke her to join in this thread :)

Back