Vindicated! BRSTV investigates fuge lights!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Vhuang168, Jul 26, 2017.

1. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

+1 height matter

My grow light is less than 1" from fuge water surface.

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Except if I also lower the light on the H380 then we are back to square 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

To me it looks like all the lights are about the same height. Probably done intentionally to get a true idea of their potency relative to each other.

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

They are, and I'm sure the thought was "It doesn't matter the height actually is since we're doing apples to apples" and in that sense I agree.

I'm just saying people coming to the conclusion that you need a really high watt light to compete against your tank lights might be jumping to the wrong conclusions. Since you could potentially lower the light to get more energy out of it hitting your fuge algae.

I haven't really thought too much further in it, but it could also be a matter of the H380 lamp is just an absolutely super beast too, it could be overkill lighting for chaeto. They used pH as a metric for showing how effective the light is, and having your pH jump by 0.7 points simply due to a ball of chaeto might even make me think that it's too much of a good thing

scuzy likes this.
  5. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Getting the light closer would undoubtedly lessen the amount of wattage needed. This is the whole premis with an algae scrubber.

The H380I is probably too much light for their test system. In a larger system like the brs 160 it would probably match up nicely. I think I heard him say that the PAR on it was 1600. The light itself is also just one part of the equation. How long it's on, and how much chaeto will also influence its effectiveness. So maybe with a higher wattage light you just don't run it as long or you keep a larger amount of chaeto to get the results you're looking for.

6. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I'm leaning more and more to just making an algae reactor.