Vinyl Tint

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by aquatic mouse, Aug 3, 2014.

1. I really want to get a vinyl tint for the right side of my tank. It gets too much light from the window. I've purchased black before on Ebay for the backside of a frag tank and used this method: http://www.reefaddicts.com/entry.php/28968-60g-Black-vinyl-applied. Does anyone know of a place to get removable vinyl that's a 20-50% tint so I can still see through it from that side of the room?

2. Merith

Merith Guest

Best thing to do I would think would be to get some car window tint from a parts store. It's not super removable persay but scrapes off pretty easy with a razor when you want to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I would look for translucent colored vinyl because window tint has an aggressive adhesive, once dry you pretty much can only get it off with a razor blade & a solvent, I've re-tinted a few cars and removing tint is seriously not fun.

4. Merith

Merith Guest

Interesting. I never had much problem removing old tint when I was doing it in Iowa. Every once in a while I would get a tough one. Wonder if the heat and sun here bakes it on.

5. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

you're absolutely right, old baked tint would be found in cars, not likely on a tank :)

6. I never thought about having to use a razor blade to scrape it off. o_O Makes me a little nervous to do on starphire glass.

7. Merith

Merith Guest

As long as you keep the blade angled you can remove without scratches. We used to razor old vinyls off cars quite often with no scratches

8. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Don't bother with window tint. Just go with colored vinyl. I speak from auto detailing experience and I've dealt with both tint and vinyl wrapped vehicles. The adhesive on tint is much stronger than what vinyl has.

9. I'm having a lot of trouble finding vinyl that isn't matte vinyl. I can't seem to find tinted.

10. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Have you looked at a sign shop?

11. Not yet. I've been looking on eBay. I was hoping I could find one by Oracal.

12. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-VOR.html

I know the min roll isn't all that small, but I need some vinyl for stickers, let me know what colors you are looking for.

13. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

photographers use "gels" which are pretty much colored film that they put over lights to change the color temperature of the strobe. Some of them come in big sizes and they don't have adhesive, varieties of colors and darkness are typically available.

14. Merith

Merith Guest

15. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

16. I bought Black Magic Tint Film yesterday, while waiting 3 HOURS for my car battery to be replaced. I haven't cut it and tried it yet, but the packaging mentions spraying it with water and dish soap, then taping the ends. I've got it rolled out and hanging on my tank right now. I can see through it, but not really well. It's 35%.

17. Merith

Merith Guest

The water with a little dish soap trick is very common. It helps you be able to smooth out the bubbles and get it applied nicely. As far as seeing through it it will get a little better when applied but it might take some getting used to on a tank.