Jestersix

Vodka & phosphates-

L/B Block

Supporting Member
Has anyone heard of this in respects to reducing phosphates (and nitrates as well)
I was testing the phosphate with a kit. Given the shades it's says I am between 0 & .03 ppm but I really can't tell as the shades are so slight!
However the diatoms are being a vicious little beast so something isn't kosher.

Also has anyone used the Hanna phosphate checkers. The ppm has an accuracy rate +- .04 ppm so I am a little tepid about that.
The ppb is a little better at +-.015. Might be the way to go.

TIA
L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any form of carbon dosing will reduce phosphates to some degree, but it probably won't reduce it to the amount you probably desire. Best bet is a cheato fuge or GFO if you're really concerned about reducing phosphate levels. But between 0-0.03 really isn't anything to worry about.

Diatoms need silicates to explode, so your tank may still not have gotten rid of them all yet from your initial cycle. They'll go away once the silicates go away. If the diatoms never go away, then water source may be suspect.

If you plan to keep an ultra low nutrient system, I'd recommend getting the Hanna Phosphorus checker. It's more accurate for low levels of phosphate.

Any form of carbon dosing will reduce phosphates to some degree, but it probably won't reduce it to the amount you probably desire. Best bet is a cheato fuge or GFO if you're really concerned about reducing phosphate levels. But between 0-0.03 really isn't anything to worry about.

Diatoms need silicates to explode, so your tank may still not have gotten rid of them all yet from your initial cycle. They'll go away once the silicates go away. If the diatoms never go away, then water source may be suspect.

If you plan to keep an ultra low nutrient system, I'd recommend getting the Hanna Phosphorus checker. It's more accurate for low levels of phosphate.
Never knew about silicates- reading up now! Thx

Water changes and reduce feeding may help. Need to find source and reduce
Water changes are every 2 weeks but need a phosphate checker at any rate-about to start continuous water changes through the apex dos so it may be good to find out if it's being added into the system.

Back