Our mission

Voluntary Recall of Marineland Stealth Heaters

iCon

Supporting Member
Not sure how I got this e-mail because I've never bought a heater from them but anyhow...
Receipts are not required

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Hmm, wonder what the deal with them is, I have quite a few of thos stealth pros, however never bought a single one at PetSmart.

Does PetSmart own Marineland? I can't see how this would be general, although if you can get away with not needing a box I could probably make a bank as they probably cost more than I paid :D

Man that sucks but then again am glad something is being done to the potential hazard.
I'll get mine out of service.

Thanks !

Sorry I missed your post.; and reposted the same e mail. Sorry: I should have known better to check. They sent me a prepaid label and credited back my account on the spot. Thx for the heads up.

Lotta talk on RC about it. I sent one back to DFS and replaced it with a Eheim Jager 300W and I had to pay the difference. I have 2 of the older Visitherm Stealths but not sure if those are on the recall list. I'm gonna try to get those replaced at Petsmart.

Took mine to Petsmart and they gave me $55 cash.

"How did you pay?" "No idea, probably cash"

"How much did you pay?" "Not sure, maybe $25 each"

"Ok, we'll give you 56.xx"

"Sure, thanks"

*thinking to myself* "YES!!!"

Guess none of you read Reef Builders :lol:

And NO, Petsmart does not own Marineland. Marineland is owned by UPG.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/14/marineland-stealth-pro-heaters-recall/

There is another one with a second letter from UPG explaining the recall.

sfb - Don't think they carry Jagers.. I returned the all black ones. No idea what they're actually called but getting $55 back for some used heaters.. Why the heck not?!

Gresham - Not sure why you make the Reefbuilders comment :) I remember seeing that on RB

Here's another snippet for the recall/stop of sales...

5469203761_0cbfe38916_b.jpg

Try reading the couple posts above mine, then ask that question again ;)

FWIW your 1st post was PRIOR to the RB post ;)

JAR said:
Oh!
I just realized I have a 150 in my QT tank and a 250w still new in the package.

I know several people that tossed them several months ago due to failure. Day late, dollar short :(

I just replaced mine the other day with a Jager. Maybe I'll bring mine to Petsmart and get a HOB filter for a quarantine tank..lol.

don't depend on the dial on the Jagers now. They suck. I will only use the new ones on a external controller.

GreshamH said:
don't depend on the dial on the Jagers now. They suck. I will only use the new ones on a external controller.

That's what I've noticed too.. Some seem to be off by quite a bit. +/- 5*. Controllers are great :)

Best recommendation for heaters?

I don't remember where I got mine. Can I send it back to Marineland?

I just need to look around for it. I stopped using it because it overheated the water. I figure it's good for heating h2o.

Back