Kessil

Voluntary Recall of Marineland Stealth Heaters

GreshamH said:
don't depend on the dial on the Jagers now. They suck. I will only use the new ones on a external controller.

Eh, I gotta return the Jager back to DFS because I didn't realize how long it was. What's a good heater to get? Are the Fluval M's any good?

I wish I had a heater to recommend. I was going to ask the same thing. I'm limping along on old jagers. The first few versions last a loooooong time.

IME it's the thermostat, why do they all rely on a crappy thermostat, I'd pay a couple more buck for something even remotely accurate that doesn't stick and fry your tank.

the problem is in business if it costs you a penny, you charge them a dollar. It might cost a couple bucks, but no way they're going to only increase their overall price a couple bucks, which is the unfortunate thing.

I always go with heaters that have detached controllers and sensors.
Keeping the heat away from the silicon at least in theory should reduce thermostat failure mode.
ViaAqua has been good for me.

sfboarders said:
.... I have 2 of the older Visitherm Stealths but not sure if those are on the recall list. I'm gonna try to get those replaced at Petsmart.

I have a couple of 300w Visitherms: One's in the box, the other has been in my sump for the past 2-3 years, and it comes on and goes off just fine - running off my chiller's circuit programing.

Since there wasn't any mention of the Visitherms, I'm feeling comfortable with owning them. They / Hagen operate out of Sacramento; and I've been pleased with their customer focus. I just hope they come out with a Stealth Pro replacement, as I've seen them come highly recommended on the boards last year (which is what prompted my purchase).

Reef Keeper said:
sfboarders said:
.... I have 2 of the older Visitherm Stealths but not sure if those are on the recall list. I'm gonna try to get those replaced at Petsmart.

I have a couple of 300w Visitherms: One's in the box, the other has been in my sump for the past 2-3 years, and it comes on and goes off just fine - running off my chiller's circuit programing.

Since there wasn't any mention of the Visitherms, I'm feeling comfortable with owning them. They / Hagen operates out of Sacramento; and I've been pleased with their customer focus. I just hope they come out with a Stealth Pro replacement, as I've seen them come highly recommended on the boards last year (which is what prompted my purchase).

Mine are doing fine also and I have them hooked up to my Apex. There have been a couple of posts of the older visitherm stealths blowing up. I'd rather not take the chance and get something that doesn't blow up. :O

sfboarders said:
Reef Keeper said:
sfboarders said:
.... I'd rather not take the chance and get something that doesn't blow up. :O

LMK if Petsmart takes yours back. Then, I'll try taking my unused one back to Pet Club. I have a good relationship with them, so they'll probably let me trade to a Jaeger or something else.

rygh said:
Keeping the heat away from the silicon at least in theory should reduce thermostat failure mode.

Hate to say it, but I've had them fry tanks too :(

tuberider said:
rygh said:

ViaAqua = RIO = SEIO = WavePoint = http://www.commodityaxis.com/home.aspx
all the same company

I only have one running now, it seems to heat the tank, it's still the same technology as most heaters though.

I do have a couple of the Rena Smart heaters running right now and they seem to work OK and are impact resistant. For the most part I don't really use heaters anymore if I can avoid it, Mag drive pumps make great heaters :D

Big als online emailed me about a replacement for my two 300w heaters. They are sending out these as replacements
http://www.bigalsonline.com/Jager-TruTemp-Submersible-Heaters_9795073_82.html?tc=default

No need to return the old heaters either.

GreshamH said:
tuberider said:
rygh said:

ViaAqua = RIO = SEIO = WavePoint = http://www.commodityaxis.com/home.aspx
all the same company

Crud!
Oh well, longer term, I plan to use my house hot water heater anyway.
Heating a big tank with electricity costs a fortune.
And right now, the one that runs most (of 3), is plugged into my reef-angel controller.

I'm a Ranco fan for heater controllers.. mainly because they're cheap and reliable. RA's are awesome, I just don't have mine on my aquarium :lol:

iani said:
Big als online emailed me about a replacement for my two 300w heaters. They are sending out these as replacements
http://www.bigalsonline.com/Jager-TruTemp-Submersible-Heaters_9795073_82.html?tc=default

No need to return the old heaters either.
Lucky you, DF&S simply sent me the letter with Marineland's phone basically saying "its not our problem"

Back