Volunteer as a group?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by kinetic, Nov 30, 2007.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

WIBGI we all pitched in one day / weekend and did some big volunteer work? I mean the board already does so much for the club, but anyone interested in doing something else? There's stuff like volunteering at the Steinhart to cleaning up beaches... maybe helping out at Habitat for Humanity stuff in the bay area?

I'm totally down to doing these kinds of things (I took part in a bunch of Circle K events in college). Anyone else interested? Maybe we can organize a big group of us to go volunteer to clean up a beach! There are places that also sponsor you, sometimes with a slice of pizza and a drink =)

I used to do beach cleanups in Santa Barbara, and the local pizzaria gave us food after every cleanup we did.

2. Thales

Thales Past President

I think its a great idea. Ocean oriented is best IMO.

I vol at the Steinhart every week (sometimes twice, but I am a dork), but with the move coming up, they may need more hands on specific days. I'll ask next week. Other than that though, I think a yearly vol event like a beach clean up is a good idea.

3. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2641.msg27506#msg27506 date=1196467870]
    I think its a great idea. Ocean oriented is best IMO.

I vol at the Steinhart every week (sometimes twice, but I am a dork), but with the move coming up, they may need more hands on specific days. I'll ask next week. Other than that though, I think a yearly vol event like a beach clean up is a good idea.
    [/quote]

yes, please let us know which specific dates, then we should get a big group of the BAR members involved on the same days. it'll be a great way to hangout / bond / and do good all at the same time.

4. Apon

Apon Volunteer

I sent a email to Bart asking if he needed any help from our club soon, but he hasn't responded yet. Earlier in the year he said he would let us know when they need help. Rich maybe you can ask him if you got the message ok? Anyways its still a good idea.

5. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Let me know about the dates. I'd be up for it, schedule permitting.

6. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2641.msg27519#msg27519 date=1196470582]
    I sent a email to Bart asking if he needed any help from our club soon, but he hasn't responded yet. Earlier in the year he said he would let us know when they need help. Rich maybe you can ask him if you got the message ok? Anyways its still a good idea.
    [/quote]

Bart is so busy, I am not surprised you haven't heard from him. I'll ask, but I don't expect there will be any 'work day' till next year.

7. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I might be able to swing a day for a good cause.

8. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

any news? I need to use my 8 hours of volunteer time at work for this year. It'd be a waste if I didn't =(

It doesn't look like steinhart will need anything this month probably?

Anyone interested in a beach cleanup? If we get a roll call I can try to find some organization. Sure it's not totally on topic with reefing, but it's the beach, and maybe it'll be a good way to see how darn dirty our piece of the ocean is, or be impressed at how clean it is?

Anyone down for Friday the 28th of December? If so I'll put together a roll call of those who can make it and find an organization we can help with. If not we can try that saturday the 29th instead =)

- Art

9. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Can't do that day. Heading out of town on the 23rd and won't be back until 2008.

10. LeviT

LeviT Guest

... I'd have to run the volunteer time by my mgr. I know I can't take a day off until next year but I'll check and see how the time off for non-profit works. It's sad to say but I've work for this bank for 6.5 years and never took advantage of it.