got ethical husbandry?

Vortec on 1/2" or 3/4" acrylic

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here uses vortecs on acrylic? Does it really cause crazing from the heat of the motor? If I was to put a thin piece of glass between the motor and tank would that help with the heat issue? Also, what is the maximum thickness vortex can be used? Too lazy to look up specs atm!

Funny, it takes less effort to type in the search then your long post :lol:

http://ecotechmarine.com/

MP10 3/8"
MP20 3/4"
MP40 3/4"

I know people whom have been running them for years on acrylic with no crazing.

Thanks Gresh and Tony, Apologies for the laziness, Most sites are blocked here at work so i figured to kill 2 to 3 birds with one stone! Cant even check personal email here. I was able to get to the link.

So it seems heat wont be an issue and will work up to 3/4" then. This was my main concern. I read so much people saying that it will craze but never really seen it in person so thought I'd ask if anyone personaly uses it with an acrylic tank.

Also, it shows it is rated for up to a 500 gallon tank. Wondering why some folks run 2? Is it better to run it at a lower setting using multiple pumps or can i get away with 1 on a 100 gallon system?

One isn't enough to get total flow if you are planning on doing sps on a 100 gallon tank. You will get dead spots with just one pump.

I see, I thought i would be able to get away with one on the left side of the tank using the short pulse or long pulse mode to create a wave like flow. This is gonna bite me in the wallet alot more than i expected! LOL!

IMO the wave motion is more for secondary flow. I would not use it as the only means of flow in your tank. Meaning, if you have 2 vortechs I would not put them both on short pulse (wave mode). I would put at least one on reef crest or lagoon mode.

So it would be more of a random flow i would want to shoot for then. Got it. yeah, i just always wondered why some people run 2 to 4 if they were such good flowing water movers, now I understand more.

Are they better placed in the back of the tank or on the sides? or is it really user prefference to get flow that we need for our specific system?

Req ID 146895BR

I've started going through my massive jobsearch compilation of companies and that one sparked a bit of interest :)

Gomer said:
Req ID 146895BR

I've started going through my massive jobsearch compilation of companies and that one sparked a bit of interest :)

You leaving the job because you have to or want to? I'd hate to see you leave the B.A. :(

Back