Our mission

VorTech Alternative

Hey, it's been a long break since I've been on. I had to focus on school the last few months but I finally graduated! I took a small vacation only to find my Vortech MP20 had once again failed. I've poured enough money into this stupid thing to buy it twice. My box and PS have intermittent failures constantly and my wet sides get ruined by snails way to easily. I'm ready to throw the whole thing in the trash but I need an alternative. I've read that tunze is a good alternative but am a bit confused about how their controllers work. I'm no longer concerned about form factor I just want something that will work/last, but my tank is only 40 gallons so maybe 2 of the nano ones. Could I use it with my reef angel?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

I am pretty sure you can control the Tunze with your Reef Angel, and the Nano streams are SWEET! I emailed Tunze with some questions directly and Roger got back to me within 24 hours. I am sure they can recommend a size and any info you need about controllers. Also Mr Saltwater tank reviewed the Nano controller here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mcKYgwvlKxU

+1 on the Tunze (our newest sponsor). :)

I run a 6100 in a tunze rock, four 6205, & a tunze wave box. Needless to say, I get some good water movement in the tank. Roger gives unparalled service.

Maybe you can shoot Roberto a pm about compatibility.

Google is a wonderful tool everyone should use :)

tunze controllable pumps
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197&sid=02e786e06b219fc8ecb1700cd8977f97&start=30

You will need a PWM Expansion module it looks like: http://www.reefangel.com/Products.PWM-Expansion-Module.ashx
Then you need to do a little work.

Thanks Gresham, I don't like Google for these types of things because then I end up wanting to buy the newest shiniest thing and spend way too much money :p.

It looks like that PWM expansion module costs more than the wave controller :~ I was hoping to save money not necessarily expand functionality.

:lol: yah I understand.

I agree, asking on the forum is a great way to find out about what your asking, and about alternatives

I've had Tunze 6100, 6101, 6200, 6201 pumps run without fail since about 2004. When a pump does malfunction, I send it in to Tunze USA and they fix or replace it. So far, I haven't been charged for that service.

I'm running 6 Tunze stream pumps in the 210G reef tank and they do a great job of moving a lot of water.

Crabby said:
I've had Tunze 6100, 6101, 6200, 6201 pumps run without fail since about 2004. When a pump does malfunction, I send it in to Tunze USA and they fix or replace it. So far, I haven't been charged for that service.

I'm running 6 Tunze stream pumps in the 210G reef tank and they do a great job of moving a lot of water.

Since 04 without fail, then you go on to talk about how your failure was dealt with? Was the pre 04?

Ive had numerous Tunze fail ln me. I am about yo get my 4th impellar in 5 years. On my third magnet set as well. Just love the alatm waking me up at 4am as well. Great pumps though, I simply disagree they are rock solid. No aquarium pump is.

I thought I read that the new 10's were way better than the old 20's. Maybe you can get 1 or 2 10's? Anyone have any more details about that? I recall 10's were modeled after the 40's or something along those lines.

I've heard the 10's are quieter, and something about the magnets being better balanced, or was the the 60?

Has anyone tried the new special Tunze silence clamp??
Looks like it has some little rubber isolators between pump clamp and magnet.

When I switched to the new tank, I changed from Vortech to Koralia.
The Vortechs were expensive, and I did not have enough wall space.
While I felt that Tunze was probably a bit higher quality, there was a noticeable noise difference.
And I believe that was due to the large magnets and clamp setup, allowing
noise to be transferred to aquarium wall.

With this new clamp, maybe that is fixed. ??

Tunze-Silence-Clamp.jpg

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2011/02/tunze-silence-clamp-review.html

I totally missed that. I wonder if it will fit my older pump?

I believe the 60's were patterned after the 10's + added venting for heat dissipation ...which is an issue with the 40's. The 10's are pretty quite low to medium speeds, but are audible on high setting.

I know they balanced the magnets better in the 60... I had a long conversation with both Tim & Patrick at the last MACNA

GreshamH said:
Tunze-Silence-Clamp.jpg

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2011/02/tunze-silence-clamp-review.html

I totally missed that. I wonder if it will fit my older pump?

I have the silencer clamps on my 6205's and they work great.

GreshamH said:
Crabby said:

Since 04 without fail, then you go on to talk about how your failure was dealt with? Was the pre 04?

Ive had numerous Tunze fail ln me. I am about yo get my 4th impellar in 5 years. On my third magnet set as well. Just love the alatm waking me up at 4am as well. Great pumps though, I simply disagree they are rock solid. No aquarium pump is.

Only two of the eight Tunze pumps that I have been using since 2004 have failed. Others have run continuously without fail.

Thanks guys, after emailing Roger and reading the comments here, I ended up grabbing the 6095 and 7092. They're supposed to be here on Tuesday. My tank is looking mighty pissed off, I threw all my spare Koralias in there to try and make up for the flow.

I think once the patent on Vortechs powerheads expires we will start seeing similar models from other companies for less money. Vortech definitely is a little too pricey IMO, but I am going to take it, and buy one anyways haha.

Back