Kessil

vortech batt backup in advance of getting a generator.

houser

Past President
Disclaimer - I have done ZERO research on this one :)

I like the idea of a battery backup for the pumps to keep them going in the event of a power loss. With nasty weather approaching it's only a matter of time before the power goes out. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it's for a day or two.

I am planning at some stage to get a generator, but haven't dealt with it.

So to power the vortechs off a battery what do you need?
[list type=decimal]
[*]Do you have to use their battery backup?
Can you make your own?
[/list type=decimal]

Where's the logic in the system? Low voltage cutoff in the MP40 controllers that switches to the aux power input, or what? 12VDC aux input, or something else? Remember, I haven't done a lick of reading yet ;)

I want significant flow for a variety of reasons but none perhaps more important than keeping my nem happy on her perch. Walkabout = swath of death (which I accept already btw). An airstone ain't going to cut it.

Pretty sure it just needs 12VDC and the switching between 12VCD backup and 24VDC driver is a logic relay. Also pretty sure that the vortech battery is just a big battery with a built in trickle charger. I think the original one was in fact a motorcycle battery.

Quick google search and...

12VDC battery, 1.3?mm connector or so I read. Looks piece of cake.

But I also read that the 12VDc solution gives you half power. Seems answer would be 2x12V batteries in series.

WhoHoo...

OK read that full speed is only dependent on 24VDC at main input so you'd effectively need a "transfer switch" potentially.
12VDC version to aux power input is a piece of cake.

Time to implement and beat this nasty storm to the punch.

Yeah I was going to say, doubling your voltage might allow it run at full speed.. I say might because there could be some cutoff at the battery input part that only allows half speed (and IMO it seems like less than half speed) operation.

You can absolutely make your own, sometimes there are problems with DIY battery systems, needing to trickle charge, and all sorts of other techy stuff that even I don't understand sometimes :D That buying the default one, could end up being cheaper. Of course the default is quite limited, in that regard. You shouldn't expect the battery backup to last for multiple days. And if you have a substantially sized tank, a single vortech on battery backup running at "half speed" probably is just barely better than no movement.

Well I have 2 MP40's on my relatively shallow 80G so I should get enough movement. I actually employ about a 15 second period pulse that really gets it moving. For me, that setup is better (again for me) than any short pulse/NTM/Reef crest, etc... 15 to 20 second period and my ears perk up if you know what I mean :bigsmile:

Batteries and chargers are a piece of cake if you're into RC toys at all!! My recommendation is everyone becomes a RC pilot.

I picked up a car battery at Costco and a trickle charger & DC/AC switcher at boating supply store. The thing I really like about the setup is that it is all water proof, the even have a container for the battery. The reason I went so big was to include the return pump and heater(s).

I have a battery backup for my vortech. it just connects to one and runs at the lowest speed. =P I think it'd be ok for one day max.

lowest speed toss in a battery powered airstone, and I think your only major enemy will be heat (over the course of a day or more)

houser said:
productive lunch - have battery and charger, just need connector and cable!

Hey Dave, when you get it all setup can you provide a parts list and an estimated run time? Sounds like it would be cheaper than purchasing a UPS, more run time for the $. Are you going to be running any AC pumps that would need a pure sine wave, will this setup provide the right power without damaging the pumps?

I'd hold off on the heater bit as part of your backup battery.

1) Heaters are huge hogs of energy, few hundred watts vs the 10s of watts for a vortech pump

2) our tanks are nice thermal insulators, meaning they can store a lot of energy and hang onto it fairly well

3) our inhabitants can tolerate fairly cold temps for small time periods, my RBTA tank dropped to 66°F due to a pump failing

4) Flow is way more important in the long run.

Heaters should be generator things, not battery backup fed things.

sfsuphysics said:

1) Heaters are huge hogs of energy, few hundred watts vs the 10s of watts for a vortech pump

2) our tanks are nice thermal insulators, meaning they can store a lot of energy and hang onto it fairly well

3) our inhabitants can tolerate fairly cold temps for small time periods, my RBTA tank dropped to 66°F due to a pump failing

So I can't run my chiller and lights?

I bought the Vortech battery.
Screwed it to the wall above my tank. It's clean and easy to use.
I also have a UPS that is run by two 6v golf cart batteries in series.
It will run my one of my 90w return pumps for about 8 hours.
The UPS is not ideal to run pumps but better than nothing IMO.
I also have a generator for the longer outages.

r0ck0 said:
sfsuphysics said:

So I can't run my chiller and lights?

NO he just said heaters and since chillers do the opposite of heaters, they should be A OK :lol:

But as far as the lights... flow is more important then lights (plug for InstaFlow)

JAR said:
I bought the Vortech battery.
Screwed it to the wall above my tank. It's clean and easy to use.
I also have a UPS that is run by two 6v golf cart batteries in series.
It will run my one of my 90w return pumps for about 8 hours.
The UPS is not ideal to run pumps but better than nothing IMO.
I also have a generator for the longer outages.
Great thing about running a 90w return pump, is you're also running a 90w heater :)

exactly how I and why I designed the system.
I am running a Velocity Titanium Pump T2
and a Velocity Titanium Pump T4
If one fails or needs cleaning there is the other.
Not to mention they are super quiet.

Back