Jestersix

Vortech MP40w stopped working

Ok so my Vortech is not working and all its doing is a red light is blinking when pluged in. Does anyone now how to fix it or is there a reset button. I'll be going to the meeting today so I could take it with me if anyone nows how to repair it.

Older vortech? It could be that the ceramic bearing is stuck to the impeller, although in my experience the torque from the magnet usually twists itself off the tank wall before it gives me a flashy light.

Otherwise look at the back of the controller I think the instructions are right there to reset, although unplugging it will reset it in a way.

Here's the instruction manual for what buttons to push
http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/themes/ecotech/pdf/MP40w_manual_1.1.pdf

Hey, I normaly work. But since I took time off for the baby well let's just say I could go for a short while got to take my kids to a B-day party. As for the frag sure its up to you.

i will be there from 1245ish to 115 ish im bringing mommas since i dont wanna leave her out of my sight...... wish i could stay longer but i cant leave her alone and having her sit though a meeting would be torture

You can also contact Ecotech. They are pretty responsive. Also, there are a handful of posts on the subject on the Eco forums on RC.

Gomer said:
You can also contact Ecotech. They are pretty responsive. Also, there are a handful of posts on the subject on the Eco forums on RC.
^^^ this :) Go to the source, they are SUPER helpful and stand behind their product

Yes, I have tried calling them and they're closed today. I've looked into there website and have tried there suggestions, with no success. I'll have to wait untill Monday. I'll look into the Eco forms on RC. Thanks Tony and Gresham.

One thing you still didn't mention is have you taken the actual wetside off of the glass/acrylic and check to see if the impeller spins?

One thing about vortechs that differs from other pumps is that other pumps have a ceramic shaft usually, vortechs have a ceramic bearing (disc with a hole in it), now that's going to heat up in any pump simply due to friction, unfortunately it also is a place that stuff precipitates to because of the heat (its why heaters tend to have a crust on them after a while) and the result is that ceramic typically fuses to impeller. Now in a typical pump (ceramic shaft) that often isn't that much of a problem initially because the shaft itself can spin (although it does a number on the rubber spacers at each side), however with a vortech that disc has notches in it that prevent it from spinning so if it fuses to the impeller you'll often get the impeller falling off the wall, however with the new EcoSmart driver it might sense the bind and shut down (i'm not sure I don't have the new drivers), however I seem to recall older drivers did as well.

Hell if you dont want to take the impeller off stick your hand into the tank and see if you can't spin the impeller with your finger, it should spin relatively easily.

Mike,
Thanks, I just tried spinning the impeller, out of the tank and it does spin relatively easily. Oh and it nis an older Vortech. I also dont have the new EcoSmart driver.

I'd shoot EcoTech an email (that way they can get it it first thing monday morning), don't leave out details, explain what you've already done. Also be specific as to how its flashing red, etc.

Does the dry side spin when plugged in? It would be just to determine if the problem is not on the motor itself. Maybe trying someone's wet-side on your pump?.

Well, call it coincidence but I met with a member (Joe Vincent) today and his MP40W EcoSmart is also stalled, red light. Brand spanking new.

I had some salt water get onto the power plug that goes into the driver that caused the red light of death. A little light whizzing, scrapped the inner portion, and presto! It works.

Back