Reef nutrition

Vortech noob cleaning, parts question

aqua-nut

Supporting Member
I'm cleaning the wet side. Following the video at:

My unit does not have the 'drive shaft washer' shown at about 00:30. Did they change design and not update video?

As far as I know, nope. It keeps the magnet from rubbing against the inside of the wetside housing. It is entirely possible (assuming it was there when you started) that it rubbed off. Any thin nylon washer should do though as a replacement.

Hrm, I think my MP40 has it but not my MP10. However, either way, it's a fairly simple nylon washer that you can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Never mind! :oops:

After looking REALLY carefully in the translucent bucket I found the very thin translucent washer!

I'm not thrilled with this pump's UI! They need to go to Apple school! :D (grumpy, tired old guy here!)

At least now I know how to take apart an MP40...

I though I understood this pump. :(

For some reason one wet side keeps popping off! I first thought it needed cleaning. Did that and after a few days it pops off again!

Anyone have pointers about maintenance? Is it supposed to be lubed? How tight should the prop nut be?

First see how easy it is to spin the magnet. One problem with these pumps is that if the impellers sticks it'll torque the wetside right off the glass.

Check that there's that clear nylon washer between the magnet and the plastic of the wetside so they don't rub. Double check that your spacers are properly done to your glass thickness so the magnet can actually grab onto the electric motor's magnet.

I have not cleaned either of mine in over a year.
If I do clean them I first chuck them in a bucket of 25% bleach for a while rinse and then in a mild muriatic acid bath rinse and stick it back on the glass.

Thanks Mike and Jon.

I believe the washer and spacers are correctly installed.

The magnet turns but does have some resistance. That's why I asked about lubrication. There is no crud restricting movement that I can see.

Vortechs come with a little plastic mounting piece that has double stick tape on it - Provides much needed support to the dry side. Are you using that? Seems like the spacer may need to be adjusted as well. May have to go with what works and not the spacer markings.

My rare Vortech-cleaning event is simple with the wetside getting an afternoon bath in vinegar and briefly scrubbed with a toothbrush. Yes, I've used the wrong toothbrush before...

Back